318 - 4 running like a dog, until...

-

Pawned

N.R.A. Lifetime Member - And damn proud of it
Reaction score
I have a 318 71 Duster, when I was driving down the highway at speed and accelerated the car seemed to hesitate. Once it got to speed it cruised along just fine.
When home I check the pressure on the 3rd electric fuel pump I have had in the last 1500 miles.
I was barley getting 2psi. I was finally fed up with the electric pumps so I got an $18 mechanical pump at O'Reily's (they said it was OEM).
After fixing the stripped threads in the engine block I installed the pump. I just checked the pressure a couple hours ago and it is now 5psi at idle. When I pulled the hose, it sprayed gas all over, so I pushed the car out of the garage to finish.

Moral: The car feels like it has 40% more power than it did with the electric fuel pumps

Hope this helps someone

What kind of electric pump did you have on it?

elec fuel pump.jpg
xzzzzz.jpg

two of the round gold color ones and the Facet last.
Or one gold one and 2 facets. I don't remember the middle one.

I am not sure I like this new FABO software

Used one of those plastic in line pumps on a buddies 390 ford pick up to get it home after the mechanical one quit, it was not near enough pump.

I have been thinking about putting the electric back in, in parallel, to use as a primer if the need ever arises

That is what we ended up doing with it as well, until he went to a carter electric pump and bypassed the mechanical pump completely.

My warmed up 318 kills OEM replacement pumps fairly quickly so I've been thinking about a good Carter. I've used those on the big blocks for years with great success.

The book says nothing over 7psi. 40% is my guesstimate, but my son in law does not think I am far off

Last edited:
-
Back