318 4bbl upgrade. Help

-
I’ve had it out a couple times now and it’s honestly way better than the stock 2bbl and manifold. Throttle response and acceleration are better than I expected. It really lets the 318 come alive. I’m really happy with how it turned out. Hopefully this winter I can do some work to the heads and maybe find a little better cam.

I’ve had it out a couple times now and it’s honestly way better than the stock 2bbl and manifold. Throttle response and acceleration are better than I expected. It really lets the 318 come alive. I’m really happy with how it turned out. Hopefully this winter I can do some work to the heads and maybe find a little better cam.
It's probably a great match for a mild teener. Is the transmission shifting correctly?

It's probably a great match for a mild teener. Is the transmission shifting correctly?
It’s shifting really well, for as long as I’ve had it it shifts smoothest during a little harder acceleration. Doesn’t like to be babied that’s for sure. Lol

It’s shifting really well, for as long as I’ve had it it shifts smoothest during a little harder acceleration. Doesn’t like to be babied that’s for sure. Lol
Does it down shift when you accelerate hard?

Yes sir, made sure the kick down was 100% functional, not interested in replacing the tranny. Lol. Excuse the pic quality my lens is buggered. Had fabricated one up at work and it work’s perfectly.

IMG_7839.jpeg

Cheers, I’m very new, literally yesterday. Thanks.
Don't worry about it. Lots of us are guilty of that same thing. We'll ask a question that a million people have already asked, and somebody will remind us that there are LOTS of references to that already.

Just be sure that whatever you do, you can get actual WOT (wide open throttle) when the pedal is to the metal. I have seen (and read on this forum) dozens of instances where people are not getting the performance they expected after a carb swap. Lots of times it turns out that with the pedal all the way down, the linkage on the carb need to move another 1/2 inch to be at WOT. That can always be adjusted out.

Yes sir, made sure the kick down was 100% functional, not interested in replacing the tranny. Lol. Excuse the pic quality my lens is buggered. Had fabricated one up at work and it work’s perfectly.

View attachment 1716296381
Well this thread should be a sticky. You actually LISTENED to advice and FOLLOWED it. A lot more than a lot of these yahoos on here do. They ask advice and then do the EXACT OPPOSITE of what they are advised to do. Nice work.

That SP2P manifold has really small runners so an excellent match to your engine. I ran that same manifold on my 70 Duster 318 back in the 80's with a 600 Holley, fresh valve job, and mild Comp 252 cam. The car had a 904 trans w/2.76 rear gearing. Was an excellent daily driver. Driving from San Antonio TX to Joplin Missouri I averaged 23MPG.

So…….Im positive I now need a fuel regulator, I’ve only driven the car 4 times and it’s eating gas like crazy and just running not good. Plumbed a pressure gauge in just after the filter and just as I suspected it’s feeding fuel at 7-8psi into the carb. Not good from what I understand. Unless of course anyone knows of any trick. Running a stock mech. fuel pump, which I also thought topped out at 6 psi max.

So…….Im positive I now need a fuel regulator, I’ve only driven the car 4 times and it’s eating gas like crazy and just running not good. Plumbed a pressure gauge in just after the filter and just as I suspected it’s feeding fuel at 7-8psi into the carb. Not good from what I understand. Unless of course anyone knows of any trick. Running a stock mech. fuel pump, which I also thought topped out at 6 psi max.
@Bewy

You could reset the float level. If the needle & seat are in good shape that should take care of the problem. Bewy can help with this also, as he is an Edelbrock carb guy!

I’ll see about sending him a message, appreciate that. In the meantime I’ll probably take the top of the carb off and have a looksie now that it’s been run a bit. In the morning of course. Thanks again Rick you’ve been a great help thus far. Have a good night.

-
Back