318 Bolt-on Build?

-

NorCalZombie

Reaction score
I'm not very mechanically inclined. Been learning here and there so I don't know much about engines at the moment, but I am looking to change that.

I recently purchased a '72 Dodge Dart Swinger with a 318 engine & 904 transmission. Has the stock 2bbl on it. Just redid all the brakes, replaced all filters. New fuel pump, or so I was told. That's about as much as I currently know on the engine.

I'm looking to get a little more power out of her. Currently she has a fair amount but getting her up to freeway speeds quick enough is a pain, however once there she cruises well enough.

I've been told to swap out the intake and carb with a 4bbl, but other than that no clue.

Ask what you want, and I'll do my best to answer.

Hey,

Im about 45 min north of you in Rio Oso (the boonies). Im building a 73 swinger with a 318 right now, the motor is built but probably wont get into the car until next summer. I got a book that was a HUGE help in learning about small block mopars that I highly recommend. Its called 'How to Hot Rod Small Block Mopar Engines' by Larry Shepard. Great book. Also, there is a Car Craft magazine article worth checking out about building the 318.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0401_mopar_318_engine/index.html

I love the 318, I like the short stroke, high revving motors. I am by no means an expert, but if you have any questions definitely let me know, I'd be more than happy to help!

Cameron

Also, I have a shark tooth grille that would fit your car (needs a little work, but definitely fixable) if you are interested. I would let it go for pretty cheap.

yes..dual exhaust....

electronic ignition with an advance curver..if it still have points...

500-600CFM carb....

Edelbrock Performer manifold, if you are on the hunt for used, get a Holley street master.

Electronic ignition, stock engines run good 12 idle 36 full advance by about 2500.

Headers and dual exhaust. Just dual exhaust with the stock 2bbl and cam, running through the stock manifolds probably wont really help your acceleration much, it may sound like it, but more than likely not enough to see on the speedo. If you inclined, the 4bbl and manifold would do more for about the same price as a good dual exhaust, then wait on the exhaust, save your money, and get headers at the same time.

IMO

Easy Cheesy.

-
Back