318 bolt on parts

-

arh

Reaction score
I just purchased a 69 barracuda convertible with a bone stock 318 2 barrel. Will a 4 barrel carb and intake along with a set of long tube headers and dual exhaust make a significant power difference?

It will make some, allowing the engine to "breathe" a little better. I would stay on the small side on the carb, 650 cfm, for a bone stock engine. Or you could find a spreadbore intake and run a well tuned Thermoquad on it.

It will make some, allowing the engine to "breathe" a little better. I would stay on the small side on the carb, 650 cfm, for a bone stock engine. Or you could find a spreadbore intake and run a well tuned Thermoquad on it.

Excellent advice! (And nice combo in the sig! )

For a carb, a 600 Holley or Carter will do well, or, a Thermoquad...if you can tune a carb.

On the intake manifold, there are a couple that come to mind starting with the old Edelbrock LD4B or the current Performer. Weiand makes the action plus which is also very nice. The LD4B needs a squarebore carb.

Regular street headers will do OK. There a real and true cursing pain in the back side event to do alone, so grab a freind and some TALL jack stands. No more than a 2-1/2 exhaust pipe, honestly, 2-1/4 will do for a stock 318 with bolt on's. Add a cam in the future? The 2-1/2 will do ya right.

If you go ahead with the very good suggestions, don't overlook your ignition timing curve. The initial, total and RPM at which it occurs can optimize your engine package.

If you go ahead with the very good suggestions, don't overlook your ignition timing curve. The initial, total and RPM at which it occurs can optimize your engine package.

Good suggestion, he said bolt on and I never considered that.

-
Back