318 broke into the 11's

-
66dartman said:
Box stock eddy's, huh? Sure blows all the experts theories that the box stock eddy's suck, doesn't it.

I dont get it...He's bottle feeding it. The MPH of the N/A run shows roughly 280 crank hp (using 3100lbs weight and 99 mph). That's low sounding to me, but if it's cammed and convertored for NOS, that would explain some of that. With a stick, 3.23s, and stock port 2.02 valve X heads and a smaller cam, my '74 318 that went 13.7 in my '74 Cuda with headers anda Tquad on a '71 iron intake.
It runs real strong, but OOTB eddies can be easily improved just by getting the stuff Edelbrock didnt get done very well done better. It's not theory. It's fact.
Keep in mind too, you will be adding a hundred pounds or so with a cage in mild steel. Definately need to work those 60 foots and reaction times tho. They are as bad as mine..and that's BAD...lol.

Point taken. I am just a little tired of all the "experts" saying that the box stock eddys are no good. For me, it was a good option to use them. I don't have the time or resources to go looking for some X heads, and they are hard to find in my neck of the woods. I thought about W-2's as well, and would have preferred them but the headers would have been a custom affair in my orphan boy early a. I hope mine runs even close to Dusterb318's car up here. If not, then they will get ported.

My car ran a 13.06 @ 106mph before I swapped the converter and intake to put the nitrous on. The cam was exactly the same. I went froma TCI converter to the ACC unit I run now and the ACC converter was set-up to run nitrous. The intake in now and M1 single plane and before it was a Performer RPM.....those are the only changes. The biggest difference is the converter.....it was made for me to use the nitrous at the track and it flat out works with it.

No I haven't because thing thing is about 80% street driven and I really like the way the Scott Brown cam runs on the street. When it's time for a new cam I'll talk to Scott and see if it will help but I don't want to loose my N/A driving.

66, I use Edelbrocks a bit...lol. I like them. But like anything else, if you dont look for probelms, you wont find any until they find you. I'd use edelbrocsk over X heads every time if I could convince guys to spend the money. Redoing wiped out 40 yr old heads costs within $2-300 of them, and they can outflow Xs by a long shot, especially on the exh side.

Duster, see, I knew there was a reason..lol. Just for gigles, you might want to experiment swapping that Edelbrock back on it...

Can't do that as it is long gone....sold on Ebay......I get better fuel atomozation with the nitrous with a single plane. The single plane just works better with the combo.

Is that what the science says, or did you try it first? Just curious. I've run NOS thru a bunch of dual planes with no problems. In fact, my C body witha low po 383 had much better low end and mid range "on the plate" with a stock iron '68 RR383 intake than an old single plane from the swap meet. It obviously had better power off NO2 also. There is a point where limiting oneself because of theory holds one back...

-
Back