318 budget build

-

Ori

Reaction score
Im thinking of building a budget 318 and wanted to run this build past you guys. Gotta love being unemployed :banghead:

-318 with the flat top pistons 0.055" down and a 0.024" thick head gasket with milled 55CC 318 heads ported with 1.88/1.6 valves. Equals to ~10.2 compression.
-M1 intake, thermoquad carb, 1 5/8 headers
-Cam? http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1532&gid=279
-904, 3800 stall, 4.10 gears, 2900lbs

Any tips would be great. This car is going to be a fun around town car with occasional strip use. :)

Looks like a fun deal on the cheap.

Estimating $1000 or less as I already have the 318, carb, gears, trans. Will need to pay for machine work for the heads-valves, cam, headers, converter and intake. I should be good :)

I think it will cost more than that.

I'll give you a run down of the absolute bare minimum you should expect to pay for stock replacement items.

Cam -$200
Lifters-$70
Valve springs $120
Break-in lube - $25
Gaskets -$60
Water pump - $60
Fuel pump - $40
Oil pump - $30
Freeze plugs - $20
spark plugs - $20
Plug wires - $40
Motor oil - $30
Air/fuel filters - $50
Hoses, Clamps, fasteners etc - $75 (it adds up fast)

I'm not sure if you're talking about doing rings and bearings (I would) but they cost more as well obviously.

I'm sure there's some things I'm probably forgetting.

All these prices are estimates not including postage/shipping. just be glad you don't have to import your moparts to Australia!

So far I'm not giving an estimate of any machine work or aftermarket performance parts and we're nearly at $1000.

Also don't expect to get away with just a surface grind for compression on those heads if you wanna run a cam with .520 lift. you will have to get the guides cut down for clearance.

Also that's a pretty stout cam and will be capable of some pretty high RPM. it would be highly recommended to balance the rotating assembly.

If it were cheap everyone would do it!

-
Back