318 Build For Now

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
Ok so I got a new 318 the other was not so good. This is a 68 model 318 I have not run all the numbers on it yet so it might not be a 68 model but most likely it is.
We got it running had to put new points in a regapped and cleaned the plugs run good no smoke but does backfire a good bit but it could use new wires and plugs.
This is going to be my daily drive but with some pep and good torque.
I have ordered a Weiand x cellerator intake it’s on the way.
Mopar performance ingtion system.
I am going to get a set of 3in headers.
I am going to run a 650 carb.

This is just a simple build for the time.
Within the next few months I will put in a cam and new pistons, and some head work.
I do have some questions about it. What are the specs on a 68 318 and what would be the color of a 318 in a 73 duster (blue).
Heres some pics of it in the van still.

[ame=http://s1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg518/1973dusterkid/?action=view&current=MVI_1916-1.mp4]
th_MVI_1916-1.jpg
[/ame]

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_1939.jpg

IMG_1937.jpg

IMG_1936.jpg

IMG_1934.jpg

Getting ready for some fun now:D.
Gross HP was 230. Net (real) was more like 150. Real compression probably in the low 8's. Being a 68' in a van there's a good chance that's a forged crank. That would be a nice surprise. If you pull it apart to regasket everything, and maybe install a new oil pump-hehe, take some pics of the crank and we can probably tell by looking at them. Good luck with it.

It's a 69 or older or a newer engine with the 69 and older Iron water pump on it.

Is there a way to rase the comp without new pistions
Not substantially. You could mill them and raise maybe .5 or a little more but if your gonna go cam and head work soon i wouldn't mess with those heads (1.78/1.50 valve) at all. Your gonna want to upgrade to something better then anyway.

You should send that intake back and exchange it for a Weiand Action Plus. The Acellerator is a single plane and will hurt your build. We can save you a lot of money and mistakes if you just ask......no offense.

You should send that intake back and exchange it for a Weiand Action Plus. The Acellerator is a single plane and will hurt your build. We can save you a lot of money and mistakes if you just ask......no offense.
Good catch SS. I put one on a low comp. SBC w/a 3.08 gear once and absolutely killed it.

I use that intake on my 318 and it works pretty well. It is modified quite a bit though and does use shaved 360 heads. I also use a 4 hole Moroso carb spacer and a 3.55 gear outback.

You may like a Edelbrock Performer better for your mild combo though.

I was gonna suggest that, that's what I just put on and I like it so far.

Will I need another oil pan.

well, i'm pretty sure that van oil pans are the same as the dodge trucks, so yes you will need a new oil pan and pickup tube, car pans are center sump style, while tuck pans are rear sump. also in case you didn't know, a 360 pan won't work, the openings at each end of the pan are different, i think a 360 pan uses a big and a small gasket, while 318 style uses the same size on the front and back, at least i think thats difference, i don't remember, all i know is a 360 pan won't work lol. all others will fit tho, 273/318/340...

So I need a 318 pan center sump.

yes, and make sure you get the pickup tube with it. it doesn't have to be 318 specific, 273/318/340 are the same. as long as its a car pan ( center sump) and not a 360 pan, you will be ok. i noticed you ordered a new intake, what carb are you gonna run ?

to be honest, if you could get your money back outta the intake, and go with a performer, action plus, or old school holley street dominator ( a old holley sd is probably the best choice for your setup) you would be a lot better off. that excelerator intake is going to kill what little bit of power you have. besides used like intakes can be had cheaper, there is a old holley in the for sale section now for $90+ s/h. you can buy a used intake for about a $100 like the ones listed above and almost have enuff left over for a summit k6901 cam & lifter kit..

just my .02 cents, its about the same amount of money, and you will run a hell of a lot better, and have a nice sounding cam to go with it. besides if your just goin with a 318 for now, and you building something bigger down the road, don't get crazy throwing money at the 318, if you have a decent motor already, you would be surpised what a used alum. intake, a holley 600 4bbl, summit 6901 cam, and cheap headers will do for you. it won't be superfast, but it will act like a different animal, and its the perfect budget highschool cruiser setup. judging by your screen name i'm guessing your probably still in highschool.

Yeah I bought the intake used and cheap just to run a 4bbr not sure what carb yet what I can get cheap.This is for now till I get the cash up for a well build 360.

Sell the intake or swap it for a Weiand stealth or performer 318/360 for better street manners. The ports are too big for 318 heads and there will be no velocity in the runners. Don't worry about the compression you can make it run strong as is. Use a .450" lift [email protected] duration cam and a two plane intake with 318 size ports and you will be happy. I have a low compression 318 with that combination in a '70 dart and it works great. You can always save your excellerator for a future build but I would not use it on a basically stock 318.

Good and bad news

Cleaned the motor up and disassembled

The good looked very clean and has an almost new double roller timing chain.
Cylinder walls very clean and sharp.
Had flat top pistions
I think it may have been rebuild at some time.

Bad

1 broke valve
Crack in block around 10in long
We measured the cylinder walls with a cheap caliper so this may not be right but the bore is out about .10 to .60 on each cylinder.(this may be the caliper.

Good and bad news

Cleaned the motor up and disassembled

The good looked very clean and has an almost new double roller timing chain.
Cylinder walls very clean and sharp.
Had flat top pistions
I think it may have been rebuild at some time.

Bad

1 broke valve
Crack in block around 10in long
We measured the cylinder walls with a cheap caliper so this may not be right but the bore is out about .10 to .60 on each cylinder.(this may be the caliper.
You need a inside micrometer to measure the bores properly, BUT.... if there's a 10" crack in the block i'm sorry to say there is no good news, it's now become a boat anchor.

You need a inside micrometer to measure the bores properly, BUT.... if there's a 10" crack in the block i'm sorry to say there is no good news, it's now become a boat anchor.

Its a 10in crack but is maybe able to be fixed.The machine shop may be able to weld it back up.

If it was a matching number Hemi for a 1 of 7 convertible...maybe? This really sucks for you, but i'd clean up the van and try to get your money back out of it if possible and move on to another engine. Out of 25,000 members here i doubt you would find 1 that would try to repair that block and use it for themselves. 318's are a dime a dozen and you just need to find a different block. I truly feel for you, but i'm just being realistic.

I budgeted out the build to the last penny and a new engine is not in it so it is going to have to work.(not sure how tho)

-
Back