318 Build on a small budget

-

DaveHell38

Reaction score
Hey there,
I need a motor for my 67 Dart and it came with 3 318s, 2 were junk but the last one is a police interceptor 318 from a diplomat (not sure on the year) so the setup would be that 318 with a 727. Im looking for suggestions on how to get a little more power cheaply. I have a 4 bbl intake for it and headers and a Holly 600cfm 4 bbl. otherwise its a stock police interceptor 318. The only other think I was thinking was a Cam but i have no idea what size?

Any help on the Cam size and any other suggestions would be great!

Thanks

Welcome to the site. If you click on the FORUMS tab, then scroll down to small block mopar engines, there is a ton of info there. It depends on how cheaply and how much work you want to do. There's adding power while doing a budget rebuild, and there's add power with a few bolt-ons. You pretty much covered those. I'm not the one to make a cam recommendation though, but I'm sure many more will chime in.
Take a look at this thread in the meantime though.
my Low dollar 318 hop-up project

Last edited:
Welcome. Like Roger mentioned, There is tons of info here on FABO about 318's. I would check out that Police 318. Post the cylinder head casting numbers and pull the intake to see if it has roller lifters. You may have scored a nice one.

Google, 3-8 teen dream

It's a dead stock long block
With 4bbl headers and xe262h cam
Here's the dyno results
1st is stock 2bbl engine with headers
2nd 4bbl and cam
3rd is tuning

Screenshot_20170921-130610.png

That's about as big a cam as you can go with stock CR. And head flow (cfm) starts become a restriction after that.

Upgrading to a magnum type head at that point would be a good idea.

Google, 3-8 teen dream

It's a dead stock long block
With 4bbl headers and xe262h cam
Here's the dyno results
1st is stock 2bbl engine with headers
2nd 4bbl and cam
3rd is tuning

View attachment 1715093471

That's about as big a cam as you can go with stock CR. And head flow (cfm) starts become a restriction after that.

Upgrading to a magnum type head at that point would be a good idea.
I have recently completed a well warmed 318 (not low budget) with 347HP/358flb but still a daily driver and a low budget 360 with about 280hp/325flb. a really useful tool for me was the Comp Cams program CamQuest. It allows you to input many different intake, carb, exhaust, head/valves, lifter type and usage expectations. It then provides several cam suggestions and estimated power level for each. If you are realistic with your inputs it provides very good estimates. if nothing else, it will help you understand how many different things can impact your choice of cams. Their tech folks are also very helpful.

You can do some home head porting for next to free....just lots of work.
it's not hard. ...I'd did mine myself.
There's a budget 318 thread on here you REALLY should read....he used a $500 budget and it was awesome.
Maybe someone can link it....I'm on a phone here at the moment. ..

Jeff

Welcome to the site! There are MANY threads on this. Use the search function and you will come up with more than you can stand.

I myself wouldn't do Magnum heads unless there redrilled for a LA intake. Also watch the total lift with the new rocker ratio. The LA is a 1.5 vs. 1.6 of the Magnum.

Good cam recommend since it will not need a converter with more stall.
Your next step after that is more gear. 3.55's would serve you well.

And I have to agree with the Comp Cams Dyno sim cam selector. Cool item.

Welcome here,
And honestly most 318 motors are getting up in the years, probably the most bang for the buck, is a standard rebuild to freshing everything up, rings, bearings and valves which act the same as new will restore power back to an otherwise tired engine.

you dead set on using the 727 ?
if you have a 904 kicking around, it will handle the power of the 318 with less drag then the 727...meaning you will get more power to the rear wheels

The motor is what... 30 something years old?

Lol, rebuild it, that's my advice to you.
Those 318s are maxed already, headers you'll notice, but a 4 brl without a cam, and no cylinder pressure for a cam... I wouldn't sink anything into it unless I were starting from scratch.

After Headers & timing...Save your money for a new motor.

Hey there,
I need a motor for my 67 Dart and it came with 3 318s, 2 were junk but the last one is a police interceptor 318 from a diplomat (not sure on the year) so the setup would be that 318 with a 727. Im looking for suggestions on how to get a little more power cheaply. I have a 4 bbl intake for it and headers and a Holly 600cfm 4 bbl. otherwise its a stock police interceptor 318. The only other think I was thinking was a Cam but i have no idea what size?

Any help on the Cam size and any other suggestions would be great!

Thanks

Welcome from California.

RustyRatRod's Guide To Hot Rod Bliss

"low dollar 318 hop up" - mission accomplished

Consider suspension work first, including brakes and tires. You need to be able to control what you have, and what you plan.

Second, gearing and trans, to be able to handle what your third priority will put out.

Third engine.

Fourth, body and paint.

Welcome from California.

RustyRatRod's Guide To Hot Rod Bliss

"low dollar 318 hop up" - mission accomplished

Consider suspension work first, including brakes and tires. You need to be able to control what you have, and what you plan.

Second, gearing and trans, to be able to handle what your third priority will put out.

Third engine.

Fourth, body and paint.

I agree with your 1-2-3-4 approach. Safety then drive train. Unless the engine is a completely worn out oil leaking pile, a crisp shifting 904 and some 3:55's might spruce her up. Unless te drive train is all good already, it will have to be gone through sooner or later anyway. Might as well make it good before the fresh horsepower is under the hood.

Last edited:
-
Back