318 build suggestions?

-
That's the trick, you wanna get the rpm just below the beginning of the powerband, not the peak.. then the motor can work back up again.. shifting just below peak is just wasting all that lower powerband :)

Not if you want to go fast. If you are shifting where the engine falls to peak torque or worse yet, below it you ain’t going fast.

Brother Rat has been telling you all torque doesn’t move the car. Horsepower does.

Brother Rat ain’t crazy. Yet.

Not if you want to go fast. If you are shifting where the engine falls to peak torque or worse yet, below it you ain’t going fast.

Brother Rat has been telling you all torque doesn’t move the car. Horsepower does.

Brother Rat ain’t crazy. Yet.
it was a joke man.... no one is gonna shift before the powerband even starts :)

i thought you were a 8500 rpm guy.... ?? :realcrazy:

You don’t know then. How many passes have you made in a stick car at any rpm?

Not asking to be a dick. I’m just curious what your actual experience is.

Like I said, I know why I do it. And I do it. A lot.

it was a joke man....

I don’t want someone reading it and taking it as gospel.

You ever power shift a stick car at 3k? Again, not being a dick. I’m just curious.

Back in the day…oh screw it. Let’s just say I’ve done it lower than 3k but with the clutches I use today I don’t go below 3k.

You don’t know then. How many passes have you made in a stick car at any rpm?

Like I said, I know why I do it. And I do it. A lot.
that has nothing to do with it. I just seen you post a ton about how 8500 is the standard these days, then I see you post 3k shifting so I scratched my head. Not saying wrong or right, just saying what my eyes have seen :)

that has nothing to do with it. I just seen you post a ton about how 8500 is the standard these days, then I see you post 3k shifting so I scratched my head. Not saying wrong or right, just saying what my eyes have seen :)

Is it possible both could be right????

Is it possible both could be right????
I confused, I was talking about how AJ said he mainly plays between 2000-3000 rpm that's his sweet spot for spirted around town driving (he says shifts by 3000 rpm), Is that what your agreeing with as the ideal ? He makes a big deal that power above that is useless on the street.

I confused, I was talking about how AJ said he mainly plays between 2000-3000 rpm that's his sweet spot for spirted around town driving (he says shifts by 3000 rpm), Is that what your agreeing with as the ideal ? He makes a big deal that power above that is useless on the street.

Didn’t say anything about it being ideal but it serves a purpose. I do it all the time but it’s not like the old days when I started doing it.

With a soft lock style clutch you have to be careful you don’t kill the clutch while doing it because you can easily do it.

Short shifting was real bad for me on the 1320, cost me .5 to a whole second!
Having been a 440 guy since the 80's I'm now thinking 318's now.

A street engine will always be totally different to a track engine ( I think ).
Can I run a TEN with a small block and iron factory heads?

There are a lot of 915 heads kicking around and 318's, so I have bored my Teen to take 340 pistons.
So its a 340 now, with a Teen block and highly ported 915 heads which I guess will fall flat on its face, below 3000rpms!

I have used highly worked Eagle rods and a 340 steel crank so looking at 7000 with ease.
Is it still a teen, now its a mock 340???:poke:

Hinkles 0.125 overbore teener Poly build

mopar-318-poly-block-and-piston Hinkles.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Neil, good to hear from you.

We have bored several 318 teeners to 4inches without any issues.
That's a 90-thou overbore for a 402cube with a 4 inch crank.

My new idea is 110-thou overbore with turned down 340 pistons.
If it stays together I will take it out to 130-thou for some stock 340 slugs.

The Hinkles did this kind of overboring for their 426 Poly build.
They said finding a Poly 318 block was very hard so they used a Teener block.

It stayed together and made over 600 horsepower...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

the 318 block isnt identical to a 340 there reinforcement in the casting itself near the drivers side motor mount etc. Only thing similar between a 318 and a 340 is the crank dimensions. If Chrysler could have over bored a 318 block they would have thats why the 340 block is its own casting...I suppose its great to do it and run it down the track though if you have a machine shop with a bore machine and 318 cores there really is nothing to lose ...if it grenades tow it home try again...

Last edited:
-
Back