318 build

-

Dartn440

Reaction score
Traded spare front end parts and a v8 k member for shop time and instruction to build my first motor. It is a 1980 date coded 318 bored .30 over that I pulled from my son's 74 Dart and replaced with a 360. Cam is bad and I raped it for all the parts to swap over to the 360. Will post pics as I get to work on it in the next few months.

Any ideas would be great as I set out to gather parts to complete. Heads and rotating assembly complete.

How radical are you wanting to go?

If you're looking for mild, I'd just do a came and dual plane intake. An eddy performer rpm cam with matching intake plus a valve job and some headers would be a good combo. I ran in a while back in a charger. If a cruiser is your goal, I think it'd work OK for you

I would say one the wilder side of mild but not outrageous. At some point I plan to build a D100 for my brother to cruise in.

Off in the morning to tear this thing down...we shall see what can be salvaged and where it goes from there. Reading alot in the build sticky. Just not sure what to do. The intake in the pic is on the 360 that I put in my son's 74.

Attachments

• 012 (2).jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 585
Does the bottom end need a rebuild? If so, this would be the time to up the compression, zero deck & new pistons will make for a nice upgrade. If the bottom end is still solid, just go with a good valve job, comp xe256 cam or equivalent, double roller chain, eddy performer intake & a 600-ish carb & a thin (.028" or so) head gasket. Run headers, free flowing mufflers & 2.25" exhaust. It will have great street manners & be fun around town.

There's a build for every budget & this one can be done for not much at all.

Ok. Bottom end is pristine. Crank, cam, and main bearings all good. Pistons new. Just going to get some new rings there. Heads are off a Dodge Dakota so I am going to assume the block is as well. Haven't looked at the block casting yet. From 1990. Crank was turned a tenth already and since it is so clean...and a 318...no plans there. Performer intake and Eddy 600 picked out. The 2176 is a dual plane and the guy helping me said all I need is a single plane. Thoughts? I need a complete gasket set but can afford to get a pair of thinner head gaskets as well. As I run it in summit seems to be a difference between truck and car? Might be confused. This was in a car. EDL-7177 - Edelbrock Performer RPM Cam and Lifter Kit with a single roller was the plan. Maybe I will look at double roller. Guy that pulled the motor for me in the first place said it had what he thought was significant piston slap on start? Causes? Maybe it was the fact that the kid I bought it from had all the pistons out of order?

Mild to moderate 318 is a mismatch with a single plane manifold. Already lacking in the low end & the single plane will exacerbate the problem. Stay small runner, dual plane. (edelbrock RPM). Cant help you on the piston slap, I'm sure someone here can tho.

Sounds good. Still trying to get some info on the slap....I am no motor genius, but I do know even and odd pistons don't go on the same side of the motor!

Ok so I have been working on the 72 the 74 and my wife's Camaro. I sent this short block to the machine shop to check tolerances before building. Going to get to it when it comes back.

Ok. Spent the day working on my 74 and tank cleaned, prepped, and painted the intake for the build.

Attachments

• DSC_0624 (527x800).jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 358
  • DSC_0625 (800x531) - Copy.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 343
Block, Heads, Pistons, and Crank back from the machine shop. All tolerances good, bearings good. Valve job done and all machine work complete. Trying to decide on a cam.

XE268 or Lunati 60403 cam, 1.88/1.60 valves in 302 casting heads, KB167 pistons @ zero deck, Performer intake, 1406 carb, 1 5/8 headers of your choice, 2 1/4 dual exhaust, a mild converter and drive the wheels off it.

Keep it on the mild side, if you get crazy on cam size, you will have to consider the torque convertor... something along the lines of the old 340 stock replacement cam, but perhaps with more of a modern grind would be a good start.

Well I am trying to be sure it is mild enough that if I can't find a project to stuff it into I can sell it.

Ok. Bottom end is pristine. Crank, cam, and main bearings all good. Pistons new. Just going to get some new rings there. Heads are off a Dodge Dakota so I am going to assume the block is as well. Haven't looked at the block casting yet. From 1990.

I'm confused. What year is your block? the quote above from post #8 says 1990 where post #1 says 1980. Probably one of them is a typo which one?

A 1980 block takes a flat tappet hydraulic cam & lifters.

A 1990 block takes a hydraulic roller cam & lifters.

Trying to decide on a cam.

I recommend something between 265° and 275° duration and run Rhoades variable duration lifters and a dual plane intake. This combination will give strong pull throughout the RPM band up to red line and will work well with a stock converter.

You are correct sir typo 1990. Must have been a day of paint fumes, garage heater, and sleep deprivation of the 2 of my 6 kids that think my bed is their bed!

Pictures for those that may be interested. The motor will be for sale when done. Selling D100 running project and this to go racing!

Attachments

• DSC_0630 (800x527).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC_0633 (800x530).jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 280
  • DSC_0634 (800x512).jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 273
  • DSC_0635 (800x464).jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 267
Stock polished and balanced crank with new bearings.

Attachments

• DSC_0638 (800x536).jpg
    46 KB · Views: 269
New stock valves and springs. 3 angle valve job. Heads were surfaced. My son was the cameraman...he forgot to shoot pics on the other side. Waiting for cam to install.

Attachments

• DSC_0660 (800x529).jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 246
  • DSC_0664 (800x482).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC_0667 (800x523).jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC_0670 (800x527).jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 270
Ok folks..worked on pan and valve covers yesterday and ready for paint. What color? Blue or hemi orange??

-
Back