318 build!!!

-
stock rod length is 6.123", which from what I've seen is the same for the 340 and the 360. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

All small blocks have the 6.123" rod length.

273/318 use a light duty rod.

340/360 use heavy duty rods. 340 has floating pins, and 360 have press fit pins.

If I remember correctly, the 318 had floating pins (It's been a while). I haven't torn down any 273's to see if they had floating or press fit pins.

Even though they have the same length, there are some differences.

I didn't know that about Pick N Pull, we don't even have them around here, never been to one. I wish we did, there's not a lot around here. I just meant if it was somewhere you could do that, or from a private seller... it's just one more thing you can easily do to reduce any fears about getting a "bad" engine. Especially if it's an older (pre-Magnum) engine.

You are not gonna get a magnum around here for less than 1/2 K. So far's I know all 318's used pressed pins. I think only 340s used floating pins.

You are not gonna get a magnum around here for less than 1/2 K. So far's I know all 318's used pressed pins. I think only 340s used floating pins.

I think you are right on the 318 with pressed pins.

The one I put together, my brother used 340 rods and TRW pistons, that's why I remember them as floating. Your post just jogged my memory (now I have to clean up the dust that came shooting out of my ears from bringing up that old memory).

I'd go with Kb's and 360 heads, if I remember right zero decked, .040" gasket and 68 cc chambers give you 9:1cr

I built a 318 with Forged 10.5 pistons and had to upgrade to 360 heads because of detonation with the stock 318 heads.

I put a set of 360 heads on it and the compression came down to 9.2 which was perfect for my street engine. The extra volume in the 360 heads brought the compression down to a "manageable" level.

Use www.car-parts.com

It has listings for local salvage yards with parts for sale. My brother is an insurance adjuster and uses this site all the time for estimates on his claims. Some of them will even ship it to you and give a warranty. It's a good way to see what is available in your area and the prices for it.

64-71 273 & 318 rods were supposed to be floating and the small rod forging. 72 and up used pressed pins and the bigger 340 & 360 rod forging. 340's had floating pins. 360's used pressed pins.

I'm going to call around tomorrow and see what prices I get for magnums.
1995 and up need weights on the torque converter, or do I have that mixed up.

-
Back