318 build

-

lilhows340

Reaction score
Hey everyone long story but I'll try and make it short. Needed a 318 for my wife's 79 Aspen. I Payed $200 for a runner that turned out to totaled. That said out of all the parts that I have I'm going to build one for my Scamp and use the motor from it in the Aspen. I've got a 79 short block cleaned up with a bit of a cam. I've got 75 360 heads 1.88 1.60 heads and 68 340 intake. Would like to use Holley 390 carb. Any opinions on that. Should make 300 hp with that maybe.

Knowing a few more details about the same nine would really help!
Cam
Compression
Exhaust to be used

IMO, carb to small. A 500 AVS at a MINIMUM !

Hey everyone long story but I'll try and make it short. Needed a 318 for my wife's 79 Aspen. I Payed $200 for a runner that turned out to totaled. That said out of all the parts that I have I'm going to build one for my Scamp and use the motor from it in the Aspen. I've got a 79 short block cleaned up with a bit of a cam. I've got 75 360 heads 1.88 1.60 heads and 68 340 intake. Would like to use Holley 390 carb. Any opinions on that. Should make 300 hp with that maybe.

If you are going to put 340/360 heads onto a 318, then I would recommend getting a set of 10.5 pistons for a stock 318. With the larger port heads, you will end up at 9.2 compression - perfect for the street on pump gas... :cheers:

Otherwise your compression may end up in the 7.0 range.... :banghead:

I would up the carb to a Holley list #80457 600 vac secondary with electric choke...

http://www.manciniracing.com/homo41noflca.html

Well the short block is stock. The rest is stuff I have lying around. Need lifter so thought I'd get a cam kit throw the mutt together and see what happens. If I get pistons then balancing, machine shop before you know it should have got a crate. Started out only wanting something cheep that ran for my wife's daily driver. That compression sounds bad have to rethink this.

Well the short block is stock. The rest is stuff I have lying around. Need lifter so thought I'd get a cam kit throw the mutt together and see what happens. If I get pistons then balancing, machine shop before you know it should have got a crate. Started out only wanting something cheep that ran for my wife's daily driver. That compression sounds bad have to rethink this.

Well, if that's what you had in mind, then go for it... :cheers:

Get what good parts that you have together and let her rip... :burnout:

It will still be a good runner with stock 318 pistons and the 360 heads. The increase in flow will offset the drop in compression... It will run better than a stock 318. :D

There's nothing wrong with throwing an engine together with the good parts that you have lying around and a good gasket kit... :farao:

You can easily make 300 HP with a 318. You can NOT easily do it with a 390 CFM carb. Rethink this.

You can easily make 300 HP with a 318. You can NOT easily do it with a 390 CFM carb. Rethink this.

That's why I suggested the Holley 600 CFM carb in my previous post... :cheers:

Try sucking a golf ball through a straw.... :pale:

The smallest carb I got is a 670. But swap meet season is coming. Maybe after my work in progress is finished I can pull it back out and do the pistons. Thanks for the input.

Yeah the 670 will do very well.

I agree with the others Bone Stone Stock 318's do well with a 600 cfm 4 barrel. You should have no problem with the 670.BUT I'm cheap and if you have the 390,use it.I'm also a big fan of usin what you got !(did I say I'm cheap?)

Should be able to dig up the 670 I just thought it would be to big, gain on top lose on bottom. Where I live go to fast and they take impound your car.

-
Back