318 Build

-
Buy stock replacement oil pan,pickup.
Mancini have pan packages...or reuse stock..and buy only the pickup.
Stock valve covers.
I've found intake manifolds on here from stock '66 273 4brl @$60 bucks to $250 for a strip dominator.. headers 150 bucks..
Used carb ,like a 600 edelbrock..$100-200
Cam n lifters around $300,don't skimp there. Buy bearings off ebay, $60 for a set of mains &rods. Get the right gasket kit, the one you need is about $70..the one with the extra garbage is $100 or so . Summit time set $50-80, springs $65, new stock exhaust/intake valves $100, pistons $110-$400, rings $30-60, oil pump $45,machine work $1200..
Possibles-reuse dampener, covers, exhaust manifolds and skip headers..jegs mandrel bent exhaust kit w/mufflers, stock fuel pump is fine, reuse trans lines, torque converter, trans overhaul. Recurve stock distributor. Water pump. Some things you can reuse and need to be new just for sake of being new.
5k? maybe that, if that.

You collect the parts by being patient and finding deals.

I looked into going from a slant 6 to a small block and doing the swap correctly, I believe that it was going to cost me around 15-20k, maybe more as l had to get the engine, transmission, rear end. I figured that since the brakes would also need to be changed out I figured on changing the k member assembly. It's thing's like motor mounts,radiator etc that raises the cost of doing a v8 conversion. If memory serves me the entire cost including the car would've been around 30k. That may seem unlikely but like I said it's the odds and ends that add up quickly.
Ouch! I was lucky with my old van as the slant 6 had the 727 trans and an 8-3/4 rear end as standard, HD brakes, could reuse the radiator etc. Only needed engine and frame brackets, rubber mounts.
Acquiring every piece (new) to assemble an engine adds up quickly. Like MO says, patience in finding the deals when acquiring used parts. I like pulling the trigger immediately when I see a deal, I don’t hit the watch button! I’ve actually bought stuff I don’t need because it was just too good to pass up:rolleyes: I love finding a part on EBay where there’s a ton of tire kicking watchers and the price is obviously a great deal, those are the best. Boom, I hit the buy it now and it’s so long :icon_fU: suckers!:lol:

Ouch! I was lucky with my old van as the slant 6 had the 727 trans and an 8-3/4 rear end as standard, HD brakes, could reuse the radiator etc. Only needed engine and frame brackets, rubber mounts.
Acquiring every piece (new) to assemble an engine adds up quickly. Like MO says, patience in finding the deals when acquiring used parts. I like pulling the trigger immediately when I see a deal, I don’t hit the watch button! I’ve actually bought stuff I don’t need because it was just too good to pass up:rolleyes: I love finding a part on EBay where there’s a ton of tire kicking watchers and the price is obviously a great deal, those are the best. Boom, I hit the buy it now and it’s so long :icon_fU: suckers!:lol:
Car had a 904 /6 and they won't bolt up to a sbm. Radiator was to small to cool a small block with ac. I didn't know that the 727 would work, power robber too

Stock valve covers.
I've found intake manifolds on here from stock '66 273 4brl @$60 bucks to $250 for a strip dominator.. headers 150 bucks..
Cam n lifters around $300,don't skimp there. Buy bearings off ebay, $60 for a set of mains &rods. Get the right gasket kit, the one you need is about $70..the one with the extra garbage is $100 or so . Summit time set $50-80, springs $65, new stock exhaust/intake valves $100, pistons $110-$400, rings $30-60, oil pump $45,machine work $1200..
Possibles-reuse dampener, covers, exhaust manifolds and skip headers..jegs mandrel bent exhaust kit w/mufflers, stock fuel pump is fine, reuse trans lines, torque converter, trans overhaul. Recurve stock distributor. Water pump. Some things you can reuse and need to be new just for sake of being new.
5k? maybe that, if that.

Parts list looks good other than the headers. Cheap headers have the tubes running close to the plug wires. Doug's headers fit like a glove and don't interfere with the plugs or wires, they are costly at 550 but you only buy headers once because they are ceramic coated

Stock valve covers.
5k? maybe that, if that.

Thanks for posting this. I didn't think about re using some of the parts. Valve covers can be reused and save $. Man, you gave me a lot of good advice here. Will the damper from a 318 work on a 360?

318 and 360 dampers do not interchange.
That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure. What about the flex plate? I know that the torque converters are different too. I remember running a starter from a 440 on my slant 6's, direct bolt on / hook up

That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure. What about the flex plate? I know that the torque converters are different too. I remember running a starter from a 440 on my slant 6's, direct bolt on / hook up

Flex plates are the same between the two. The 360 has weights on the converter and the 273/318/340 do not with some exceptions. The 73 340 got stuck with a cast crank so it had a weighted converter and damper. When you get up to the magnum stuff I don’t remember what interchanges and what doesn’t.

Flex plates are the same between the two. The 360 has weights on the converter and the 273/318/340 do not with some exceptions. The 73 340 got stuck with a cast crank so it had a weighted converter and damper. When you get up to the magnum stuff I don’t remember what interchanges and what doesn’t.
I don't know anything about the magnum engine's. Is it true that there's only 1 intake manifold available for the magnum heads?

That stroked magnum is internally balanced. You can use la heads on a magnum. La intake manifolds can be modified for magnum heads. The combos seem to be endless.

Car had a 904 /6 and they won't bolt up to a sbm. Radiator was to small to cool a small block with ac. I didn't know that the 727 would work, power robber too
So get a transmission put of a van in the wrecking yard. $180-225 and reuse the trans lines. Radiators are simple, jets or...do like I did and steal one from a 5 series BMW . They exit correct for 70 n up you just have to buy a 30 dollar moroso inline fill neck and use a slant six bottom hose that you finger a dab of coolant inside and force/slip over the water pump inlet.
I paid 40, probably 60 now. Been running it for almost 20 years now with the same damn hoses! I keep my coolant green fwiw. I change fluids religiously with my cars.

-
Back