318 Cam and more - advice wanted

-

74desertduster

Reaction score
Hey all

I posted a while back about building a 360 for my 1974 Duster and got great inputs. But things have changed and I am going to keep the 318 it has in it.

I want to do some upgrades to it for more performance and would love some inputs.

I would like it to operate well in the 2000-5000 range. Will be used only on the street as a driver but want it to have some kick so I'm not worried about the honda sitting next to me at the light if you know what I mean.

Currently has:

1974 318
I was told an RV cam. Don't know specs
Stock 4 bbl intake and Carter 9635 625cfm
Stock exhaust manifolds
Dual 2" exhaust with glasspacks
Stock elec ignition
2.73 rear end gears

Runs pretty hard as it is, no smoke, no missing.

Was thinking about a cam, carb and intake....maybe better exhaust manifolds, really don't want to hassle with headers (just based on horror stories I have heard about install).

Saw this cam in another thread and wondered about it....

Comp Cam CCA-20-222-3 Xtreme energy 262/270 Lift .462/.470

Anyway, pistons are not an option right now so am stuck with whatever the compression I have right now. Believe my heads are stock from 1974, as the engine is a 1974.

Let me know what you guys would do based on what I have here.

Many thanks!

for what you have now as far as gearing i recommend this 256 cam. it is very easy to live with and will be a bit peppy.......... you could go with the 262 cam as it is a little hotter but it might be alittle sluggish from off the line without the gearing needed. remember never overcam a 318....

Snap1.jpg

Snap2.jpg

the 2000 range is going to fit the 262 cam best but without the gearing it won't perform like you want. the 262 will give it a little rumble as well. you should take it in steps. gearing will get you a big kick in the pants for the money spent. do that first. 3.23 is fine for street and still not to bad on the gas gauge. the next change you could do that will yeild some good results is a mopar performance distributior. it is the recurved dist. that has the advance come in alot quicker. it too will make the motor run stronger than the stock unit and will probably net you a little better miliage as well as long as you are not into it all the time!

Speaking of gearing,do you have an 8 1/4 in that Dart? I have 3:55 gears for it. You want cheap kick in the pants acceleration,these will do it!

Cheap ways of bringing up compression would be thin head gaskets for a moderate gain,lets say .25. Better yet would be 302 casting heads.Bolt right on and land you right around 9:1. Ports need serious work for power and bigger valves are necessary. More $ and you could step up to magnums.,get 9:1 bigger valves and no porting necessary.

Dont really need to change the pistons for a mild comp ratio.

Stock 360 log style exhaust manifolds would be a bit better than the stock 318 manifold.I understand your hesitation about headers.Nobody makes a cheap,good fitting header thats easy to install on any mopar.But I think even the Summit brand headers would be worth it as far as power gains over stock manifolds.Use good gaskets and bolts and you shouldnt have to mess with them again.

The stock intake really aint that bad! But you can save quite a bit of weight going aluminum.Theres plenty of used intakes for sale here all the time.

I will even shamelessly plug my own stuff! I do have every single piece necessary to step up to magnums on an la block,save the gaskets.Was thinking of selling it,but havent posted it yet. :))

I would start with gearing, exhaust and ignition.

Some 355s, 373 oe 391s will make a huge improvement. If your going to stick with the 318 a 2.25" exhaust with good mufflers and a H pipe. Headers will make a big improvement. You can use a set of spitfire tri-ys which will fit better then most cheap headers but wont make the power as a set of long tubes.

Do a good tune up also.

Hey all

I would like it to operate well in the 2000-5000 range. Will be used only on the street as a driver but want it to have some kick so I'm not worried about the honda sitting next to me at the light if you know what I mean.

Currently has:

1974 318
I was told an RV cam. Don't know specs
Stock 4 bbl intake and Carter 9635 625cfm
Stock exhaust manifolds
Dual 2" exhaust with glasspacks
Stock elec ignition
2.73 rear end gears

Runs pretty hard as it is, no smoke, no missing.

Was thinking about a cam, carb and intake....maybe better exhaust manifolds, really don't want to hassle with headers (just based on horror stories I have heard about install).

Saw this cam in another thread and wondered about it....

Comp Cam CCA-20-222-3 Xtreme energy 262/270 Lift .462/.470

Anyway, pistons are not an option right now so am stuck with whatever the compression I have right now. Believe my heads are stock from 1974, as the engine is a 1974.

Let me know what you guys would do based on what I have here.

Many thanks!

Cams....

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1543&gid=287

ISKY 262 supercam

Your carb and intake are fine, if you do get a different intake, fins an old street-dominator (Holley) But your intake is fine. Your carb is perfect, just tune it.
I know the Holley is old tech, but so is the 318. (Only other one I have found better on a mild 318, is a Dual Port OFFEY) The performer probably will make less power than your cast manifold.

I would bump the exhaust up to 2 1/4" in case you want to put a bigger motor behind it, get some 340/360 manifolds. And no one has told me yet if you can run the 92-93 magnum manifolds on an A body. They flow great.
Glasspacks? (Don't weld them on)

Also, 302 heads are not a compression bump, I have cc'd many of them, and they aren't any different than the older heads. They do have a closed chamber, and swirl port/better EX port. You won't notice much difference just bolting them on though.

What's wrong with glasspacks? The VooDoo cam looks good and I am searching for a rear end with 3.23's or a little better.

I wish I knew what cam I had now so I would have some perspective.

Thanks for all the inputs!

id go with a small solid cam if you you dont mind swapping springs and rockers and pushrods and some lash maintance time to time, a little bigger than stock but in a solid cam will keep it mellow but will come to life when you get on it

Is the Mopar Performance distributor the best choice? Was looking at a Pro Comp one on ebay but not sure how it compares....mine is old for sure.

it is a matter of opinion on dist.....i like the mopar performance as it does what you need, is a direct fit, and is an easy out of the box setup. i personally don't like a multitude of different brands working together, but that is just my opinion...

Hey all

That is awesome. I agree. Those hondas love to give me **** lol.

Glass packs are actually restrictive in terms of flow because they get smaller on the inside. Ethier a glass packed like type muffler, like the Hooker or Dyno Max, "Max Flo" (They each have one by the same name and look the same and probably are the same) or a nice high flowing chambered muffler.

VOETOM (IIRC is the screen name) deals in mufflers that are very good.

I like the comp cam, but they also have a line designed to work with exhaust manifolds, also, in which I would look for 340 exhaust manifolds since the 360 units are not worth a damn more in flow over the 318 exhaust manifolds.
(Take that to the bank!)

I'd also take up the offer on 3.55's! Fast before someone else does. Great move!
If you go for the Comp Cam designed for exhaust manifolds in the 2 - 5 G RPM range, a stall converter later on down the road will help alot and it can be a mild stall as well. It will not need much.

OH, I'd go for the 302 heads and get ahold of BJRracing, here at this site and let him know the combo in full. Hold nothing back. He can set up the heads properly for a reasonable price. (He's good to use like that.)
You can do the heads and drive the car. When the heads are done and in hand, swap them out with the cam change.

It's great when you do all the sci. homework and get all the parts togther and swap them all out at once. Big bang of a difference.

Those 3:55 gears are sitting on my shelf taking up room. Make a reasonable offer and thier yours. P.M me.They are Richmond gears and lightly used. I bought them here from a member who said they had about 500 miles IIRC. I bought them with the intention of installing them in my cop car but that car is going this weekend hopefully.

I was pretty sure those magnums chambers are smaller...I know the magnums I have are. I thought the 302's are too.

I do second the motion on 302's.

I am either going to go with the Comp 262 or the VooDoo 60401 with better gears and 340 exhaust manifolds if I can find them.

Probably stick with my intake and carb (not set on the intake yet).

Looking for 302 heads....and my rear seal has started leaking so may end up pulling the engine out when I am doing all this to fix that.

Can I use the stock springs with either of these cams? I know the Comp spec sheet says not to so would same be true of the VooDoo?

Thanks!

74desertduster,you have a p.m.

I would get new springs. I have gotten away with reusing my stock ones,but new would be much better and will give better performance.

Good luck on the 340 exhaust manifolds.The restoration crowd loves them.

Sorry cant help with 302 heads as I have magnums. They will likely get posted in the f.s section as it looks like I will be getting my 400 soon. They have been ported with a m.p porting kit and would likely be too much for a small cammed 318 anyways.

Have a look around your local wrecker for the 302's. They came on just about every rwd 318 mopar after 1985 or 86 I think.

you will want to change the springs on both as it will have a higher lift and need the extra capacity in the springs.

Do not use the stock springs with your new cam. definately follow cam manufacturers recommendations for springs. Why not recurve your current distributor if it's in good condition and save the money for springs.

Just got back from the only junk yard in town that actually has older cars....quite a few dusters and darts...and lots of engines. Could not find any 302 heads....will keep looking.

Found a perfect grill and non-cable hood latch.....

-
Back