318 cam query

-

18teener

Reaction score
Dangerous territory I know but I would appreciate some feedback on a cam.
It's a Howards Streetforce 2 which came with my 318 when I got it (installed with old and battered lifters!). Because it was a sort of bonus when I stripped the engine I'm not bothered whether I use it or not so be honest folks!
Advertised 267 277
@0.050 213 223
int lift .450
ex lift .465
lobe sep 112
int CL 108

I can't find anymore information on it.
Car is 3000lbs, 904 trans, 3.00 rear (which will probably change to suit the engine build), I have a 2,200stall converter. just going to be a "hot" street motor.

Trash it because it used “Old and battered lifters” which makes the cam, now junk.

With a 2200 stall, you can step up in duration. 218/220@050 is about as large as I myself would go. Your gear ratio of 3.00, isn’t helpful. But if your changing gears, it does not matter. It’s just that Chrysler never used a 3.00 gear. 3.21/3.23, 3.55... yes. On the other side it could be a 2.96 or a 2.76.

What year engine/car?
Have the pistons been replaced?

Trash it because it used “Old and battered lifters” which makes the cam, now junk.

With a 2200 stall, you can step up in duration. 218/220@050 is about as large as I myself would go. Your gear ratio of 3.00, isn’t helpful. But if your changing gears, it does not matter. It’s just that Chrysler never used a 3.00 gear. 3.21/3.23, 3.55... yes. On the other side it could be a 2.96 or a 2.76.

What year engine/car?
Have the pistons been replaced?
Sorry wasn't clear, it was built but never ran, the cam is as new.
It's a Humber Hawk, the rear is a 10 bolt.
Pistons are now KB 167's. Engine is a 68.

I’m going to have to google a Humber Hawk.
Fresh new build? And with a good compression ratio with the KB slugs. NICE! I’ll assume new lifters the ! LMAO!

With the cam having a 112 LSA, it’ll idle pretty smooth and really help with the P/B if so equipped. If you do t have power brakes, now is the time to change the cam for something a bit more stout. Looking at the cams numbers posted, this cam will be easy on the springs with the lobes on it.

I have power brakes but they use an electric vacuum pump so no issues there.
I like the sound of "something a bit more stout"! This is my first Mopar so I'm a bit wary of the warnings about over camming 318's.

I have power brakes but they use an electric vacuum pump so no issues there.
I like the sound of "something a bit more stout"! This is my first Mopar so I'm a bit wary of the warnings about over camming 318's.
You don't want to over cam it. You'll knock the nuts off of it quick. I agree with Rumble on maximum duration with your combo. It'll still sound healthy and it will still have decent street manners. The other thing is if you tighten the LSA up from 112 to 110 or so, I think you'll gain some mid-range torque and it won't be favoring the top end as much as the 112 LSA does.

-
Back