318 carburetor question...

-

Chryslerkid

Reaction score
Hi again y'all,

I know that for a stock 318 engine, a 600 cfm four barrel carburetor is not too big, but would a Holley 390 cfm four barrel carburetor be too small? What's the range that I should stay within in order to give the engine to right amount of gas? Again, I have a completely stock 318 with a two barrel carburetor and I'm trying to put a four barrel on top. Thanks guys.

ive never seen or heard of a holley 390 four barrel. get you an edelbrock performer dual plane 4 barrel intake. i see them all the time for 100 bucks or so. get you a 1405 or 1406 edelbrock carb or a holley 600. this engine was a 2 barrel 318, with nothing more than an intake/carb and headers added to it. you would be suprised how much get-up this little engine has....

Attachments

• d208.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 681
yes..they made a 390 holley 4 barrel....i would go with the 600 as long it is a vacuum secondary.

I agree with 73AbodEE I have never heard of a Holley 390 I have a stock 318 with an edelbrock intake and a edelbrock 1406 600cfm 4 barrel and it has plenty of get up

they do make a holley 390 cfm carb .there are 2 atop the tunnel ram on my 340.however i do agree with the other posts that a 600 cfm would work well and give you room to grow.

they do make a holley 390 cfm carb .there are 2 atop the tunnel ram on my 340.however i do agree with the other posts that a 600 cfm would work well and give you room to grow.

can you post a pic for informational purposes? ive never seen one. ive seen plenty of 2 barrels that size.

My iPad won't allow me to upload the pics of my Holley 390 cfm carburetor. But for informational purposes, it just looks like a regular four barrel Holley carburetor jus has smaller jets and sprayers.

My iPad won't allow me to upload the pics of my Holley 390 cfm carburetor. But for informational purposes, it just looks like a regular four barrel Holley carburetor jus has smaller jets and sprayers.

And smaller venturis. MUCH smaller. lol Hold it next to a 600. You'll see.

There really isn't much use for a 390 up top a 318 even if otherwise, dead stock. And if it were a dead stock engine, a 500 is as small as I would go. (OK, actually, I wouldn't myself....)

interesting little carbs. i guess they would work well with a couple atop a tunnel ram, but not near enough for even a little 318. i have a 600 holley atop my 360 and that seems to be the ideal CFM for a stock / mild cam. it will run good with a 625 or 650. i tried a 750 DP but that was too much carb for my stock 318.

interesting little carbs. i guess they would work well with a couple atop a tunnel ram, but not near enough for even a little 318. i have a 600 holley atop my 360 and that seems to be the ideal CFM for a stock / mild cam. it will run good with a 625 or 650. i tried a 750 DP but that was too much carb for my stock 318.

I agree with the 750 being a bit large. Not so great throttle response when the engine is mild and the gears are still Hwy.-ish. Even on a mild 360, the smaller carb works great.

I checked out Bobby's link to Summit racing to look at the 390's. I am not into circle track. So I was surprised they cam in 2bbl. flange. I also did not know they have a 4150 model. ( http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-80507-1/ )
I think a pair of these on a small runner T-ram would be cool stuff.

Copy that. I'll go ahead and look for a 600 edelbrock then. Sweet! Thanks everyone.

Well Ed (805MoparKid) removed a 390 from his SLANT and put on a 650 and sped up. It even sped up yet again when he put on a 750. What's that tell ya? lol

Well Ed (805MoparKid) removed a 390 from his SLANT and put on a 650 and sped up. It even sped up yet again when he put on a 750. What's that tell ya? lol

lol go figure huh? you would think the 750 on slant would kill it. im guessing he has a great build to support it. i dont know what cfm a little single throat 2 barrel bbd is, but the stock 318 is a complete turd running one. word on the street is that with only an intake and 4 barrel , the 318 doesnt benefit much, but i REALLY beg to differ. a little bump in the timing and the extra cfm, my little 'teen will roast the tires and it gained a huge amount of top end. with headers of course

Ed's got a hot little *****. His girlfriend ain't bad either. LOL

Copy that. I'll go ahead and look for a 600 edelbrock then. Sweet! Thanks everyone.
There are great deals to be had on these Carburetors. I got my EnduraShine for around $ 200. Runs like a dream on my 318.
8f479843.gif

Stock two barrel intake and carb.

$60 for mainifold off Craigslist (Dual plane 318/360 Performer)
$40 Pick and pull find Eddie 1406 with electric choke (Like new):D
$30 or so for gaskets for the intake and carb base.

Still dialing everything in, but it'll get there.

Attachments

• stock.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 412
  • 4barrel.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 616
exactly! i paid 75$ shipped for the same intake from a member here, i paid 60$ for the 1406 off of CL , and 140 shipped for the headers that included reducers, gaskets and bolts. bolt on performance on the CHEAP and it runs GREAT and sounds healthy

I think people are to worried about over carburation too much, 2 and 4 barrels are measured different levels of vacuum so 390 cfm 2 and 4 barrel not the same. 2 barrel is measured at 3" Hg and 4 barrel is 1.5" Hg cause they assume those are levels that a 2 and 4 barrel engine are gonna produce at full throttle. So the lower the vacuum at full throttle your cfm quickly shrinks to check if your too over or under carbed use a vacuum gauge, on a street car your looking for 1.5" Hg on a street strip car no less than 1" Hg full race lowest that will work for you. I think drivability more depends on how well your carb set up, I seen a write up on a warmed over 383 they dynoed like a 650,750,850,950 and a dominator all made more power without a loss on torque now they didn't drive each one on the street to check drivability.

Everybody says "go big", then when the price of gas goes over $4/gal, they fuss about "only 8 mpg". A 390 cfm is a better fit for a slant six, and they are rare and more expensive than most 600 cfm carbs. The 2 bbl Carter BBD is actually great for street driving, where most people notice low end torque more. That is why most V-8's shipped with a 2 bbl. If you want the high rpm power of a 4 barrel and good mileage, the Thermoquad and Quadrajet were the best.

One interesting choice is the "dual port" intake by Offenhauser, with small dedicated runners for the primaries. I have one to try on my BB. TBI or MPFI is the best way to get performance and mileage, and if you document what you pay for gas in a daily driver, the seemingly high cost might pay off in a year or two. Even NASCAR is going EFI.

More expensive, yes. Rare, no. You can buy them new at Summit everyday.

What's the opinion on a four barrel afb 650 cfm carburetor for the stock 318? Pro' and cons please everyone?

Would probably work pretty well.

-
Back