318 crankshaft question

-

gerty

Reaction score
I have a 318 on an engine stand. This motor needs the crank changed because the harmonic balancer bolt hole is stripped. I have another crank in great shape. So question 1 is would it be acceptable to run a bottom tap in the hole and use a new ARP bolt? Secondly if I have to swap in the new crank could I just push up the pistons and change it out without removing the heads? Your advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Bob

Running a tap is ok so long as it's the correct thread pitch......with help you might be able to pull the crank with the rods still poking at you........use some hose on the rod bolts to prevent nicking the crank, and again you will want help, that crank will get real heavy real fast as you steer it around the rods.

Do you have any idea how many Mopars are running around without that bolt in them? :D
More than you would probably want to count.

Jus sayin.

I removed the crank on mine with the heads still on. Tried to do it alone on the reassy, and ended up nicking one of the journals. If i ever do it again i will get another set of hands to help, and use the aforementioned rubber hose on the rod bolts.

Do you have any idea how many Mopars are running around without that bolt in them? :D
More than you would probably want to count.

Jus sayin.

Was wondering about that. It still has like six bolts holding it on. If it were a low hp, non race application I'd try running it without in a heartbeat.

Was wondering about that. It still has like six bolts holding it on. If it were a low hp, non race application I'd try running it without in a heartbeat.

The six bolt hold the pulleys on the balancer.
I guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do, but I think I'd blue Locktite that sucker on and do it to it. :D
The Locktite would seal any oil seep around the crank snout and you have to use a puller to get them off anyway.
Just be a little harder to get off next time if there is one.

Thanks for the input, I'm gonna tap it, use loctite and cross my fingers. lol
Bob

-
Back