318 deal??

-

myasylum

Reaction score
I was planing my 360 conversion, but as I see my money dwindling away before my very eyes, things I doubt will would as planned. To get my car on the road this summer, I'm thinking of sticking with a 318 rather then the slant 6 I have now. I found a 318, and I know the people are giving these away, but I found a running 72 engine with 67,000mi with a tranny for $500.00. Do you think that is worth it? Or because these are readily availible, should I just hold out?
It just seems like, because of the miles on the engine, and with the tranny, it may be worth it?

Thanks!?!?

Scoop it up! Assuming it is in the condition you were told, its a bargain to get the car on the road.

I don't think it sounds like that bad of a price, but then again, a lot of people pretty much give 318's a way. Make him an offer on it.

Make an offer. That is reasonable I suppose but I still think it is a bit high.

If it were in a car running and driving that would help I guess.

ROB

Well, he showed me pictures it's out of a 72 Satellite that he's doing a Road Runner clone too. The odometer did say 67,000. The car is in great shape, and the engine "looks" new. all the blue paint is there and everything. I didn't see it run though... This is true.

What should I offer? $400.00??

I dont believe those numbers. A 1972 engine that has only 67,000 miles on it hasn't been used since about 1980.
I f i did buy that I would go into it and replace the oil pump and timing set and replace all the freeze plugs.

This is a pretty timely discussionfor me, too...

I am searching for my car.....and many I have conidered have had 318 engines.....

Now, I know they are not powerful like the 340 and big blocks, but in an ebody or a body, wouldnt a good running 318 be respectible for at least having a driver? One could work on a beefier engine and stiull enjoy the car....

Seems like the 318 HP numbers werent that bad really.....and the a bodies and e bodie ar fairly light, right?

Ideally I want to find a car with a 340 or big block...but that makes the search even arder...LOL

I looked at nice looking Duster and it had a /6......for the priceof the car, plus the price of doing a whole swap, it wasnt worth it to me.....but if I already had the car, I think the 318 is a good idea IF it is a good runner and doesnt need work to begin with....But how do you know if its out of the car? You dont...you gotta hope the seller is being honest.

This is a pretty timely discussionfor me, too...

I am searching for my car.....and many I have conidered have had 318 engines.....

Now, I know they are not powerful like the 340 and big blocks, but in an ebody or a body, wouldnt a good running 318 be respectible for at least having a driver? One could work on a beefier engine and stiull enjoy the car....

Seems like the 318 HP numbers werent that bad really.....and the a bodies and e bodie ar fairly light, right?

shadango, E bodies aren't that light. Some A body cars can get heavy. I'm doin a 318 Duster project and the main idea is a focus on the 318's performance. Starting with the lamest of all 318's I suppose, a '79 smog motor.

The issue of a 318 being an underdog is very true and for a time here and many other on-line forums, the question of what can I do to my 318 for hop up or make it more powerful and how fast can I get the car to move with this engine has been asked alot.

I am very sad to say, alot, oh sorry, I ment to say, ALOT of people were answering, get a 340 or a 360. While there is wisdom in this answer, it did NOT answer the question at hand.

I'll be very honest and tell you that dumping a good runing engine and then spending another $500 on another engine that could need the same amount of work (Or more) isn't in everybodys budget and many whom asked the question even said dead right up front, I don't have money or can't find another engine to replace this one.

While being cubicly challenged, it just takes a different approach to make it go fast. It has the same stroke as a 340, just a much smaller bore.

I'm sorry. But I would love to have a 340 over a 318. I just can not justify spending $700 (give or take) on a bare and used 340 block when that same amount of money goes real far on a existing engine.

Not everyone here makes enuff money to build a hot engine and they have to make do with what they got. I'm doing just that work just for the hell of it for everyone interested in 318's.

This project is a basic build up starting in earnest and on the mello side. It will progress upward in power a little at a time. I have a few extra parts to swap out just for swap sakes. Some of these swaps are being done just simply to show you what to expect and what to do and what not to do.

I have started with the basic bolt on's and a small cam. Stay tuned. Spring is coming to the North East where I'm at. Read up here and follow along; http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10508&page=1&pp=20

my.....

Make an offer of $300. It's a low ball approach and it can't hurt. If they get upset, just smile and tell'em you figured it couldn't hurt. $500 isn't a bad price for it IF it is a good engine. Ask for a motor/tranny combo for $500

This is it...
It is a motor tranny combo! a 904 tranny.

437d_1.JPG

shadango, E bodies aren't that light. Some A body cars can get heavy. I'm doin a 318 Duster project and the main idea is a focus on the 318's performance. Starting with the lamest of all 318's I suppose, a '79 smog motor.

I will keep an eye out for your car and the engine build....

Hey, I have a 92 Dakota pickup....has the Magnum 318 engine and 3.91s....my truck is a 4x4 and shortbed.....not a light vehicle I guess either.....that thing runs lieka raped ape, even WITH the 4x4 gear added into the weight.

I know the 92 318 is a different beast, but I am just bringin it up to say that I know the 318 can be made to perform well....

Like I said, its not a 440....thats my dream.....LOL...who doesnt love the sound of a healthy 440!?!?!?

But if my car end up having a 318 I think I will be ok with it....

This is it...
It is a motor tranny combo! a 904 tranny.

Sure looks clean....

I have been looking at numerous carsd and some of them have engines with them sitting on the side....the seller says they are rebuilt, etc but no reciepts or proof.....pictures look nice....but the thing is, you dont know how it runs by looking at it......

I have passed on a few cars because the engine was the wild card......

But yeah, that does look clean.

How much do you trust the seller?

....type of post. I'm with Rumble on this. I have 318's in some of my "Muscle" stuff (Go ahead and laugh) and you better have your 340 tuned pretty good when you want to play. Not quite the bore but the same heads and the same crank. Same intake and carb. Got a 318 Throttle body FI in my 91 SW pickup and that thing will jump and run. Don't sell that 318 short. Did i mention better gas milage over bigger stuff? Shagango, I've got your 440 abody also and as we all know we do this for fun, not gas milage. It's a pump gas motor with 3:91 gears and it gets the job done in fine fashion. It could be made quicker but it's a street machine. As far as price, i find 440/tranny combos here for $250. $500 is questionable not being able to hear it run. Keep us posted.

Well, I got it for $400.00 for engine and 904 tranny.

I have to pick it up yet! Wish me luck!

(Any idea of a cam for a 318? :)

Thanks guys!

Cool, sounds like a good deal! I would definetly replace some things like gaskets, the oil pump and timing chain, maybe the freeze plugs and a cam if you want to add some power gains. Are you going to run a 4 barrel on it or headers? That little 318 will run great and still have some snort!

I wouldn't pay that, but I'm a bit of a penny pincher too. My last engine purchase was a '70 440 w/ trans for $250 about 4 years ago. It was in a pick up and had been suposedly rebuilt recently but had been overheated. The tranny had some performance work done on it also. IMO, I think the fella is out of his ghord to think he can get any where near that for it.

I want it all!!! LOL!

Yea... I'm thinking, cam, intake, 4bbl, headers. I think thats all until I can get better heads and go from there.

Any thoughts on what else I should do, or should I just start a new thread? :)

I've been looking into Voodoo 60401lk cams.

Thanks guys!

I would start a new thread or search old ones, there have been a lot of 318 performance questions in the past on FABO.

$400 for the combo isn't bad, I've seen a few 318's that were sold as "runners" in the $200 dollar range. I've seen complete non-runners go for less than $100, but if you want to drop it in and use it I think you did ok as long as it drops in and runs.

Deals are still out there though, I bought my 340 short block (.030 over already) for $280. Complete with windage tray and forged crank! I had to go .060 over on it so piston choices were a little bit of an issue, but still a great deal! And this was just last year.

I just sold the running 318 out of my duster earlier for around $150 and it only had 59,000 original miles.

-
Back