318 Distributor install question

-

PatrioticMopar

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a question about the distributor on my 318. I have the engine at top dead center, but the rotor is not pointing at the #1 cylinder. It is actually pointing inline with the camshaft.
To answer a couple questions that might be presented the rotor lines up with the gear slot on the bottom of the distributor.
Looking at the intermediate shaft it is pointing right down the middle at TDC

Is it possible to install the intermediate shaft incorrectly?
If that is ok, what would the recommendation be to wire up the distributor? Stick with standard firing order?

thanks in advance

D127D766-3956-48B0-AADC-7EE7D0DE8730.jpeg

You might be off from correct TDC.. yes, there are two times #1 reaches TDC. Try to continue to crank the engine around and find TDC again and see where the distributor points. If that's not it, something is wrong.

You can do either and TDC is not an indication of when no1 is ready to fire. No1 ALSO needs to be on the compression stroke

You can do the factory alignment of the cam gear but that MAY not straighten out the dist as some drive tangs are not the same as others

How to set this up: Pull the no1 plug. Stick your finger in the hole. Bump or wrench the engine until you START to feel compression. Now watch the timing marks and rotate the engine up NOT to TDC but rather WHERE YOU WANT the timing IE 10BTC, whatever

Now drop in the dist and see what you "get." Personally I would not mess with distributor drive gear alignment. Just put the dist in.

Now rotate the dist CW (small block) which is RETARD. Slowly rotate it back CCW (advance) until the reluctor is centered in the pickup coil. If this is a breaker points dist, rotate CCW until the points just open using a light or continuity checker

Now plug the no1 wire in WHEREVER the rotor is pointing, and start the engine

Once you make sure the #1 cylinder is indeed on compression stroke, the slot on the oil pump gear should be inline with the #1 cylinder intake bolt.

Once you make sure the #1 cylinder is indeed on compression stroke, the slot on the oil pump gear should be inline with the #1 cylinder intake bolt.

As I said, some distributor tangs are not the same, so this method only applies to "ones that are." Are what? Well "aligned with the way to which the factory refers." "How do you know?" You don't until you drop the dist in, and then it's too late.

Why screw with it. Just put the thing in, see where it points, and drop the no1 wire in that hole.

You CAN walk the gear "over to where it belongs" with a screwdriver if you have to.

Yes... I would follow the shop manual, as its stated on page 9-35, doing things correctly first handedly will insure you not second guessing yourself afterwards...
I agree. While 67Dart is technically correct ~ you can make #1 any hole you want, it's best left to those who really have a solid handle on this stuff. The intermediate shaft comes out easily and once properly installed the rest will fall into place for you. First fire up can be stressful, stick with doing things right (by the book) and save yourself some headache.

Yes... I would follow the shop manual, as its stated on page 9-35, doing things correctly first handedly will insure you not second guessing yourself afterwards...

The fact is, the shop manual has no real well worded procedure. Also the gear orientation has nothing to do with compression stroke. it can be lined up on either no1 or no6 firing stroke, meaning, at TDC. There is also no really clear procedure on installing the distributor.

You can do either and TDC is not an indication of when no1 is ready to fire. No1 ALSO needs to be on the compression stroke

You can do the factory alignment of the cam gear but that MAY not straighten out the dist as some drive tangs are not the same as others

How to set this up: Pull the no1 plug. Stick your finger in the hole. Bump or wrench the engine until you START to feel compression. Now watch the timing marks and rotate the engine up NOT to TDC but rather WHERE YOU WANT the timing IE 10BTC, whatever

Now drop in the dist and see what you "get." Personally I would not mess with distributor drive gear alignment. Just put the dist in.

Now rotate the dist CW (small block) which is RETARD. Slowly rotate it back CCW (advance) until the reluctor is centered in the pickup coil. If this is a breaker points dist, rotate CCW until the points just open using a light or continuity checker

Now plug the no1 wire in WHEREVER the rotor is pointing, and start the engine

Thank you!

I agree wholeheartedly, unfortunately I didn’t build this engine. It came with the car and I am using it until the 408 is ready. So I am hoping to get it running right with minimal tear down. It is on a fresh rebuild, so fingers crossed it runs good for a couple of years

-
Back