318 engine 118 horsepower on dyno

-

ThomasTedder

Reaction score
I did a baseline pull on the chassis dyno and laughed my butt off.

The motor has an edelbrock intake, 600 cfm carb, and dual exhaust. I thought it would be around 175 horsepower. It's a good thing it doesn't weigh much!

It's getting a 383 with 3.55 gears next week and I can't wait to dyno that. I bought it used and all I know is it came out of a 68 b body. Someone put an after market cam and it's real clean inside so we'll see where the dice land. The cylinders still have the cross hatch. I bought the motor for the hp exhaust manifolds for the Charger and figured what the hell. I'll throw it in the dart.

What year?

RWHP is a LOT different than even NET HP, never mind gross.

That's actually not terrible from a "vintage" 318.

Keep in mind gears don't affect HP, they just move them in relation to RPM.

Even I was amazed. Bought what turned out to be a VERY low miles 318 for ? 150?200? forgot. Ran it a week to see how it did. Tore it down and put a little more cam in it. Heck it couldn't have had 29K on it.

Little cam, already had headers, and the low RPM version of the Performer. Geez woke that thing right up. 3.70 rear gear it was quite decent.

Well with 20 percent drivetrain loss...thats like 146 flywheel hp. Lol barn burner!

Too bad you are going to yank it so soon. Would be a great test bed for timing and carb tuning possibilities.

What year?

RWHP is a LOT different than even NET HP, never mind gross.

That's actually not terrible from a "vintage" 318.

Keep in mind gears don't affect HP, they just move them in relation to RPM.

It's a 1972. I've had it since 1998 and it's always been this weak. It's probably only got 30k miles on the "rebuild" that was done before I got it.

I think it was rated for 225hp net. 1972 was the first year that net measurements were used. It doesn't match even with the chassis losses, but I didn't expect it too.

The 2.76 one wheel wonder really took the fun out too. I doubt know why I love it so much (other than being my first classic).

I can't wait to do some fish tailing with the new motor and rear end.

I am curious on how much my 318 would make. It is a totally stock 81 bottom end. I did a massive porting job on the heads and port matched the eddy 318/360 performer intake. It has a 210° @ .050 duration .450" lift purple cam and 73 Thermoquad off a 440. Stock electronic distributor and orange box. It is backed by an O/D F-body manual trans. Runs real strong on the street.

Too bad you are going to yank it so soon. Would be a great test bed for timing and carb tuning possibilities.

That would be fun if I had time. I know the distributer could use a recurve (and an electronic upgrade.) I never tuned the cab either.

I will tune the 383 and post those numbers when I get them. The dyno I'm using is for sale and I'm thinking about buying it. I could tune all of my rides.

never mind the numbers..a small cam, a gear and as RRR says TUNE!
You'll be surprised.

I was thinking of building it for a while. I was even considering a Paxton supercharger. But, thus 383/727 was just sitting there staring at me so I'm going that way. I've actually always wanted to big block it.

No tellin what it would do too advancin the cam some......course, if you went to all that trouble, it would be dumb not to re cam it........but you have the 383.

What's a chassis dyno going for these days?

Last I had any insight, about 2005, I heard of one for sale asking price was a fairly steep $6500 IIRC.

72 wasn't electronic ign from the factory? I thought 71 for Chrysler, 72 Ply and Dodge

I wonder if there's a young gun member in your area that might like that 318. That would be a good cause. You could make a new friend too.

It's a 1972. I've had it since 1998 and it's always been this weak. It's probably only got 30k miles on the "rebuild" that was done before I got it.

I think it was rated for 225hp net. 1972 was the first year that net measurements were used. It doesn't match even with the chassis losses, but I didn't expect it too.

The 2.76 one wheel wonder really took the fun out too. I doubt know why I love it so much (other than being my first classic).

I think they were rated 230 hp in '71/older, and 195 net in 72 ups.

Couldda been a really tight dyno too.

What's a chassis dyno going for these days?

Last I had any insight, about 2005, I heard of one for sale asking price was a fairly steep $6500 IIRC.

72 wasn't electronic ign from the factory? I thought 71 for Chrysler, 72 Ply and Dodge

Asking price on the dyno is $20,000. It was $65,000 new.

My distributor has points. I'm not sure when the changeover was. I just assumed it was after 72, because I can't imagine anyone would go backwards and convert from electronic to points. It has had the same ignition since the late nineties when I bought it, that's all I know for sure. The big block going in the dart has an MSD.

Don't think 225 was ever net. Far as I know there's very little change from the '67 LAs to the '84 motors. Stock cam was weak, compression low, heads flow like crap- can't expect too much.

Like Rusty mentioned. It would be a very interested test bed. See what kind of effect tune/timing would have overall. Granted it wouldn't mean too much outside of a similar engine. But still. I'd be very interested what you could pull out of that engine with no new parts, just a lot of time and energy.

Here's my bone-ish stock '73 2-bbl 318 dynorun I did 3 years ago;
http://www.bigblockmopar.nl/2013/05/dodge-dart-dynoday/

144 HP - 312 TQ

Car has dual 2-1/4" exhaust and stock exhaustmanifolds with stock mufflers. No H or X.

Since this time I've replaced the timing chainset which woke up the lower rpm quite a bit.
Recently I also changed to a 4bbl intake.

For a 360 swap, I'm currently waiting for a new mandrell bent exhaust system to arrive with X-pipe and shorty headers.
But I'm thinking to put the car on the dyno on more time with the 318 but with the new exhaust system. Just to see what nice exhaust bents, an X-pipe and shorty headers will do on this engine.

Here's my bone-ish stock '73 2-bbl 318 dynorun I did 3 years ago;
http://www.bigblockmopar.nl/2013/05/dodge-dart-dynoday/

144 HP - 312 TQ

Car has dual 2-1/4" exhaust and stock exhaustmanifolds with stock mufflers. No H or X.

Since this time I've replaced the timing chainset which woke up the lower rpm quite a bit.
Recently I also changed to a 4bbl intake.

For a 360 swap, I'm currently waiting for a new mandrell bent exhaust system to arrive with X-pipe and shorty headers.
But I'm thinking to put the car on the dyno on more time with the 318 but with the new exhaust system. Just to see what nice exhaust bents is, an X-pipe and shorty headers will do on this engine.

Your's is healthier than mine. I have dual exhaust with an H pipe and a 4 bbl, too.

For the 383 I bought headers from Schumacher. I'm really impressed. They are very short and should work perfectly in the Dart.

-
Back