318 engine color

-

sublimeswinger

SUBLIME Senior Member
Reaction score
Hey i have a question.I was looking on the Mopar performance site under engine paint.Well let me start here,I bought a "318" for a guy that came out of a 68 charger,and my block is orange and the heads and intake are red.The mopar site lists for the engine year and color it is a 340.is this true,did i score?or am i missing something.I took down the block #its 2536030 318-2.Now i know it says 318 but the color doesnt match.The intake # is 2468960 and is painted red like the heads.If anyone could help i would appriciate it
THANKS
SUBLIME :sad2:

if the casting # on the block says 318 i would have to assume its a 318. anybody can paint the engine just like anybody can throw decals on a car. I would assume its a 318. I just took my 318 out of my dart and dropped in my 340 and casting #'s match the CI

I had a simular problem with my car, the guy I bought my Duster from told me that it was a 340 engine he even had documentaion from an apraiser stating that it was a 340. I got the car home and my curiosity got to me so I compaired the engine stamping number to ones on yearone.com and unfortunately i had a 318 not a 340. I was so pissed off and upset. But down to your question the engine stamping will have the engine size in it. and 318 are blue.

You know if you wanted to pursue it you could have went after the seller and appraiser for false information. They are liable for their negligence and error.

I looked into it, but it would have cost me too much and i might not have recieved all my money back, plus with the amount it would have cost i can just put that into getting a 340. and to top it all off i found real 1970 b5 blue 340 duster a few days later for less then what i paid for mine.

i understand people can paint things whatever they want but the engine was a stock engine,orignal.thats what idont understand.i thought all 318 s were blue.

I suggest that you look at the date code under the driver side head it looks like this
example 06:15:68 which would mean june, 15th, 1968 with a clock stamp stating the hour it was casted. if the year stamp is different then the engine wasn't original and as far as the id stamping that you mentioned i believe it stands for 318 2 barrel.

My 318 was originally blue. I just decided to go with it because I wanted to keep it that color i guess.

Whatever you do! Do NOT buy Mopar engine paint. They SUCK, the cans fall apart, paint squirts out and runs all down the can...Terrible stuff. I had about 4cans that went bad, just tossed them, about 1/2 way full.

Plasti-kote or Dupli-Color has worked well for me. :thumblef:

motordone.gif

motordone.gif

i thought all 318 s were blue.

no.. a 69 318 would have been red... they went blue in 1970 i believe... sure the block is orange?? that red after years of grease and abuse starts looking orange...

I just tore down a 68 318 and it's red. It's all original out of a 68 Barracuda. The bearings are stamped 9 68. I believe the 318's got painted blue from 70 on. It's red from top to bottom and all the same shade.

-
Back