318 engine expert advise needed

-

California Dart

Dont List Websites Here
Reaction score
I have vibration issues as I've stated several times. Vibration from 1000 rpm to 5000. New motor, BALANCER (NO WEIGHTS) new everything. Before I take this back to the engine builder I have ONE more mechanic looking at it. Gonna pull the fan and belts and would like to disengage the motor from the trans but:
HOW DO YOU START THE MOTOR AND CHECK IT WITHOUT THE T-CONVERTER ON THEIR SO WE CAN ELIMINATE THAT AS A POTENTIAL PROBLEM?

im no expert but ,you need the converter bolted up to start the engine.jack it up. take the inspection plate off the front of the tranny. have a buddy bump the engine around and see if there are any counterweights on the converter and go from there. from my 318 experience, they are all internally balanced and you should not have any weights on the converter or a counterweighted balancer .now ,i could be wrong on this,but at least you can find out if you have the correct converter or not.my 318 is internally balanced and i have no weights on my converter.

FWIW my fan clutch bearing went and I had a nasty vibration from about 1000 rpm and up.

I hope your problem turns out to be something simple like that.

If the crank was ground, and they messed up with setting up the grinding of the crank pins, this will cause bad vibes.
Seen it before with a factory ground original crank......had to be ground 0.040" under to bring it back.

If the crank was ground, and they messed up with setting up the grinding of the crank pins, this will cause bad vibes.
Seen it before with a factory ground original crank......had to be ground 0.040" under to bring it back.
From what I know, this was a straight stock rebuild with new valves, pistons and a long travel motor home cam upgrade. What do you mean by:
"setting up the grinding of the crank pins"? These guys do a lot of motors but mainly newer ones.

You need the converter to start the engine and to use as a flywheel. I guess rerouting the rubbing transmission lines and unbolting the exhaust hangers didn't do the trick eh? It still doesn't seem like engine to me but I guess it's possible. Feels like a harmonic buzz when you rev it sitting in the seat but not with your hand on the engine while you rev it. Let us know when you find the problem!

You need the converter to start the engine and to use as a flywheel. I guess rerouting the rubbing transmission lines and unbolting the exhaust hangers didn't do the trick eh? It still doesn't seem like engine to me but I guess it's possible. Feels like a harmonic buzz when you rev it sitting in the seat but not with your hand on the engine while you rev it. Let us know when you find the problem!
Yeah, this thing is driving me crazy. 6k in this thing and it does this. The door noise drives me nuts too. Where does that damm noise (Click clank) in the doors come from, the lock rods?

Does your balancer have a scalloped front or back, should be a solid disk with 1 or 2 balance divots in it. the TC may have a small weight on it but itll only be the size of a quarter (just for static balance) What year motor? IF they put a small stator hub early convertor in a later crank motor, itll eat up the flex plate and crack it. Does the engine vibrate when its out of gear? (drivetrain isolation) Does the rear trans mount look good, ie is there any metal on metal back there? Let us know, the more solutions we know of the bigger our cumulative knowledge base gets.

-
Back