318 For Fun

-
It is all too easy to build any small block MOPAR. It matters little whether it is a 273, 318, 340, or the original stroker, the 360. It is the same recipe Chrysler used. They did it with the 340, then moved the same parts to the 360, later to the 318. Get good heads, pick a cam with matching components, pistons to work with the fuel you will run, a 4 barrel carb, an intake, a distributor with a quick curve and decent exhaust. For what the OP wants, any 318 heads will work. 318's did not make 230 hp, but it is easy to make 300 hp for little money.

It would be fun to find out. Engine dyno would work except for the dual exhaust comparison. You could dyno with manifolds then headers for comparison but you wouldn't get the restriction from the single to dual exhaust. All the rest of the changes could come from the engine dyno. A chassis dyno would be better for that and you could note power increases from all the modifications. You would have to calculate drivetrain power losses if you want just engine power specs. You can also spend some time at the track after all the different mods and compare times. Not the very most accurate because of all the differences in traction, temp, baro. pressure and the like. Where a engine dyno is a bit more consistent as far as environment goes) ET and MPH would have to be calculated to horsepower if that's the numbers you are looking for. It's all a guess but the more information you have the closer that guess is. Sorry for the ramble.

Why can’t you run dual exhaust on the dyno? You just can’t run any crossover, which is too bad because the truth would come out about those losers.

It is all too easy to build any small block MOPAR. It matters little whether it is a 273, 318, 340, or the original stroker, the 360. It is the same recipe Chrysler used. They did it with the 340, then moved the same parts to the 360, later to the 318. Get good heads, pick a cam with matching components, pistons to work with the fuel you will run, a 4 barrel carb, an intake, a distributor with a quick curve and decent exhaust. For what the OP wants, any 318 heads will work. 318's did not make 230 hp, but it is easy to make 300 hp for little money.
For now, I think that I'll go with a 500 edelbrock carburetor, performer intake I got a great deal on those, a curve kit, "chrome " box, good wires,plugs, mandrel bent 2 1/4" exhaust system. 3.55 gears. Fun time

Why can’t you run dual exhaust on the dyno? You just can’t run any crossover, which is too bad because the truth would come out about those losers.
EXACTLY You can run dual manifolds, or headers but it would have to be a special dyno set up to accept manifolds and a single exhaust.

For now, I think that I'll go with a 500 edelbrock carburetor, performer intake I got a great deal on those, a curve kit, "chrome " box, good wires,plugs, mandrel bent 2 1/4" exhaust system. 3.55 gears. Fun time

It's best to do things in steps see where it takes you, not every has do be done once, look at 318willrun's hop ups to his 318 duster got good gains with a few basic hop ups.

Plus you may have to experiment a bit everyone is different how they want their car. That's part of the fun.

Last edited:
I'm thinking that when I started inquiring about the 318 that I might have not been going about it the correct way. I'm wanting to improve the throttle response and low to midrange torque. Most likely the 318 will never see over 5,000 rpm's, I don't want or need it to be able to spin 6,000 plus rpm's. From what I've read on here is that the smaller port heads are best for port velocity and velocity is good for torque, correct? So wouldn't speedmaster's 171cc heads be to big for what I'm wanting to do? Is there a aftermarket cylinder head ( cast iron or aluminum ) that has smaller ports? I'm thinking about running the pistons at zero deck height and wouldn't I be better off with a closed chamber heads? I know that I've been giving a lot of good advice on here but as I've reviewed some of the material it's mostly focused on more power than I even need or want. I'm not looking for a 12 second car by any means. Also wouldn't the magnum heads have to much port velocity? Now as far as the cylinder heads cracking, does this effect the performance of the build, can the cracks get worse and cause more damage later on? I've talked to a machine shop and they recommend hot tanking the block and then checking the main bearing bore alignment and once this is done with then he would check block deck height and correct it if needed by decking / squaring the block and then bore and hone the cylinders with torque plates, assembly will be balanced too. Compression ratio in around mid 9's.

Build a dead stocker with a small cam in the low 200's duration and go tune it.

Stuff 100hp of N2O down it's nose..and if it likes that, then go 150 and be brave!!!

EXACTLY You can run dual manifolds, or headers but it would have to be a special dyno set up to accept manifolds and a single exhaust.

Ok...I missed the single part. I have seen pictures of single exhaust being tested on a 901 but to get that done it wouldn’t fit in a car. At that point I don’t know exactly how much that would change power going from the dyno exhaust to what would fit in the chassis.

Westech has run H and X pipes on their dyno.

Yeah, you might be able to do it on a 902. My question is would that set up fit in a chassis or did they make it just to fit the dyno? I don’t think I’ve seen the episodes where they test that. They must be several seasons old because I haven’t gotten that far back yet.

Yeah, you might be able to do it on a 902. My question is would that set up fit in a chassis or did they make it just to fit the dyno? I don’t think I’ve seen the episodes where they test that. They must be several seasons old because I haven’t gotten that far back yet.
Season 2 ep 22

-
Back