318 in the tens

-
Well, we've heard of them. The math supports the possibility that it could be done. Why someone would want to is beyond me, but they have their reasons. I met a guy who has a dragster with a Jeep 4.0l. And I'm friends with a fellow who runs an alcohol fueled Chevy stovebolt 6 that runs low tens in a Studebaker. It takes all kinds...lol.

Even more crazy...A friend of mine had a 2.2 Turbo II powered super comp dragster that ran in the high 8's.

Well I'm the guy with the 318 in the 11's on the bottle. If I had filed my rings a little more I could probably push a 200hp shot of drugs down the 318's throat and maybe touch the 10's......right now I am running a 100 shot and ran a spinning 11.85. I might try a 150 shot here this summer when I get the suspension tweeked and get the car to hook. so we are looking for 318 ci motors running in the 10's......I don't know of any myself. I'm not saying it can't be done but for it to be streetable it's gonna have to be on some drugs or a respirator. Gonna have to be in a super light car if it's N/A that's for sure and spin some serious RPM's.

No prob....I was wondering what happened to it.....I'm a mod to so I know....no problem.

NO2 doesnt count. Naturally Aspirated is what we're talking about. Being the ever skeptic one, I dont believe anything until I see it first hand. But I definately will accept the math's determination that it CAN be done. It's when the physics and math say it cant be done, and someone say's "I do it" that I will say no way and ask for proof other than public claims. This 10.99 318 car is no exception.

Okay so N/A it is......is there a weight limit on the car......are we talking street trim....say 3300 pds? My car weighs 3310 with me in it.....but it does have some fiberglass parts...hood and fenders. It's gonna take some high RPM and some good heads and high compression to get a 318 in the tens in a street car......possible yes...practical....probably not. It's definetly not gonna be street friendly or run on pump gas.....for very long anyway.

Nope..BY the math, it takes 450-470hp at the crank to accelerate 3000lbs (a guess on my part) to a speed of 120 mph in the 1/4. (estimated mph. with gearing, a lower powered car can run slower mph, but get to the end quicker) How you make hp is not the issue. It takes that much. The airflow needed to make that hp number is very roughly 235cfm. Running a 340/360 port that's not a problem (taking out the emotion of spending what it costs...lol). Running the smaller 318 port, that could very easy be a problem. As I've said..Not impossible I dont think, but highly improbable. I have been surprised by much smaller making more N/A...But they make it by rpm. an 10K rpm Nissan a friend owns is one. Dynoed at 295hp to the tires. 2.4L with J spec head, no boost. No bottle. If that were a 318 size (5.2L) it would be producing (conservatively) just over 700hp. The secret is the heads and chamber, combined with rpm. 4 valve heads that flow just shy of 200cfm and as close to "perfect" chamber/piston design, and have it make "x" amount of power per each firing stroke, and make as many firing strokes as possible in a short period of time. (Rotations Per Minute)
Thats a far cry from 140cfm, poor quench, poor chamber, large bore (comparatively), and lack or rpm tho.

Hmm, theres a 8bolt crank at my dads house, and i have a couple 318 blocks....lets see, good rods and forged pistons..revved to 9000...hmm.
magnum r/t heads..maybe i can get my dad to build a 318 for the scamp and w5 heads...just alittle maitnence..

Steve

moper said:
NO2 doesnt count. Naturally Aspirated is what we're talking about.
N02 does count, you put forth the limitaion of the engine being a N/A power plant. The first post is who runs 11's, not who runs 11's with a N/A motor.
Dusterb318 runs what he does with N02 and I'm cool with that, though I myself would rather I do it without the gas. But he still runs 11's.

You go get'em scamp73.

Sorry Rumble. I saw a post from the original poster in another thread. I assume (we know what that does...lol) he was asking about the claims made there. You're right..NOS counts here because he didnt limit it.

I assume (we know what that does...lol)
He he he, your right. I have been victum to that alot. Be sorry not, we are cool. :thumbup:
I think I know the thread. Similar to this one.

Dusterb318; :thumbup: Yea you are. And I'm looking foward to spring when you get some sticky under the rear. You must have one heck of a top end charge.

I'm hoping to see 11.50's out of this thing when I get the suspension tweeks done. I have some Rancho adjustables for the rear to go on this winter and I still have plenty of adjustments for the Cal-Tracs. On my 11.85 run I wasn't spraying until the car was rolling so I wouldn't blow the tires off......even N/A the car spins out of the hole so spraying it makes it worse. The converter is set up for me to spray off the line and when I do it hits hard.......from about 2500 - 6000 RPM when I shift this thing won't let you out of the seat......she pulls hard that's for sure.

I dont think Don is out of it. He does have a 318 block. I dont believe a 318 can get that low without a stroke, light parts some serious math, and a well set up car. or drugs or huffer.

Dude, how do you like those Cal Tracs? I have to get some too. My combo blows up the suspension bad.

I like the Cal-Tracs....they have already helped drop my 60' times and I haven't even started tuning them. I just put on a set of 9-way Rancho adjustable this weekend and I'm looking forward to suspension tuning this summer when the tracks open back up. After I get the suspension lined out I am gonna up the shot to a 150hp level and see what she'll run then. My goal is then over next winter to pull the motor out to re-ring and put in new bearings, have the rotating assembly balanced andset the rings up for a 200hp shot of nitrous then see what I can break in the driveline.....

Lindy Calhoun & J. W. Hames:
SS GT/KA 318" 235hp small block 1st pass on the motor 10.68,
1.07 under the index. #9 qualifier at Montgomery, 4th pass on the
motor 10.52, 1.22 under the index

Super Stock GT/JA Class Winner Spring Nationals Houston, TX.
Ran a best of 10.40 matching the national record.

I know this is rubbing salt in the cut,but had to do it,just think,4 more tenths and the 318 runs in the 9,s.And its a door slammer and inspected after its won a event,smoke and mirrors and hollywood efects,mrmopartech

Daytona.jpg

well i hoping my car will hit the 10's with my 318. its a stock bottom end with good pistons, edelbrock heads and procharger butting out 15 psi. But before i rebuilt this motor it was a stock 318 with the smallest comp cams cam, a performer intake, headers and 150 shot. Stock 904 trans and conv. and a stock 7 1/4 open rear on 18" drag radials and it went 12.50's and 98 mph because the rings where shot and fell on its face at the top end!

-
Back