318 Input and help...please

-

Youngthrill

69 GT
Reaction score
So im almost done with my build..need help deciding some key factors..first off this is my first v8 build,im a vw tech so some stuff is new....
so here is what a i have so far..

76 318 came out of a truck it was blue..
.40 over with sealed power flat top with valve relief cast slugs,zero decked
273 forged crank with stock rods everything was cleaned and balanced buy hubbard machine shop in hayward ca.
eddy heads with 63cc chambers mild port job fel pro 39cc gaskets i think
lunati cam 60441 272/280 advertised 243/251 @50 546/566 lift 110 lsa
eddy air gap manifold
mopar oil pump
lunati true double roller

thats what i have so far ordering prw 1.5 rockers this weekend( not the alluminum ones )forged i think.not useing those 273 rockers pictured..
so i want input on h.p i calculated 10.4 to 1.this will be in a 69 dart g.t 904 2800 stall with 3.91 ...

i need help finding push rod length..picking a good hei unit not a box..what fuel pump to run..and was thinking of a 750 vacum advance not sure what brand input wanted..

also what balancer to run..there are like a 1000 rangeing from $60 to$500
just need something to work trying to stay in the 150-200 range..

this build got a little out of control,was going to do 360 heads but i got a deal i couldent refuse on these new eddys..so im running out of money and want to finish this thing..thanks fabo couldent do it with out you guys..:prayer:

Attachments

• camera pics 002.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 221
the prw stainless steel rockers have cupped adjuster, therefor the pushrod is going to be a ball/ball pushrod just like the stock ones....in fact i would install a stock pushrod and adjust the lash...and see how many threads are showing on the adjuster...

for a correct pushrod length you want about 2 threads showing below the rocker...you then can use what you actually get to order new pushrods if needed....you might find the oem one will work...

Are you allowed to own and work on a car in Berkeley ????

LOL....you'll be surprised we have alot of mopar guys out here..but ya i know what you mean...i do get alot of look's because i dont drive a bio-diesel..screw them i punch the little
273 i have in there face every chance i get!!

Very nice , no estimates , but will be quick for sure . Should out run those bio diesel neighbours . and the pan looks like out of a D-100-150 truck

You need a car oil pan

You can get a pushrod measuring tool. A place like huges engines will rent you the tool and take the rental price of the purchase price of pushrods through them.
Mancini racing also sells the tool.

A good and reasonable priced balancer. An be had from MoPar themselfs. It will be an OE replacement part, but it is a excellent unit.

Carb style, IMO, with a cam that size, I myself would look at a Holley with A 4 corner idle. Not a basic Holley.

As far as a fuel pump i always liked the high end carter mechanicals, though you may have to regulate the pressure some. There are some reasonably priced balancers that are SFI approved, summit even offers one. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-C4277/
As far as the carb, i'd go Holley DP all the way. A Mdl. 4779 (750) has a resonable price, good used one even a option. I'll throw out a guess on hp at 425, but you're definetely gonna have to spin it. Down the road the only issue i can see is you'll probably want to step up the converter some..........Good luck.

thanks guys!!ya i was afraid that pan wouldnt fit,,,i just dident see myself breaking down and buying a mildon...prw's on order,,once i recive those i measure push rod length....once again these site is the best!!

I have not checked piston to valve clearance...i know im with in the max lift range of the heads and since my pistons wer'nt pop ups i was under the impression i was in the safe zone....

ahh so i guess i have a new problem...now i bolted down my heads already so getting clay in there isnt going to happin...havent received my rockers yet...,.

now can i just spin the motor by hand and make sure i have no interfierance??

better yet is anyone running a simaler set up??i know im not the only one running a zero decked block with eddy heads .566 lift...ill be running 1.5 rockers

help !!why do i feel ill be riping out this cam

-
Back