318 Install Question

-

elmedico

Reaction score
I am about to install a new 318 in my 70 Dart. I have a hoist and leveler.

Engine and tranny (904) will be installed bolted together.

My question is - where are my best attachment points to the engine for the leveler?

Also, does anyone use silicone or some other sealant for their intake manifold gaskets and head gaskets?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Eric

or the bolts in the "outer corners" of the cylinder heads the one that you use for alternator mount its a litle tight in the rear where it is close to the firewall but it works.

I do the 4 corners of the intake. If it's off, then the most outter bolt holes on the head. If there off, the most otter holes in the block closest to the top of the engine.

I now use a sealent only on the intake manifolds ends. From corner to corner.
I have had problems in the past that did require a bit on the intake to head gasket, but those are mostly a rare problem. At this point, the silicone is a band aid fix to another problem.

Maybe its just me, but I have found it to be easier to set the engine in without the tranny and then put the tranny in from underneath, especially if you are using Hedman headers, they can be a headache. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck

If you have time to remove the front clip, it can ease the pain of pulling engine/trans out alot, especially on the install side.

JoseyWales said:
Maybe its just me, but I have found it to be easier to set the engine in without the tranny and then put the tranny in from underneath, especially if you are using Hedman headers, they can be a headache. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck
Mine was easier just putting the headers in the bay first, Then sliding the engine and tranny in as a unit.
I found it a real pain putting the tranny in from the bottom,twice. Next time the tranny comes out, so does the engine.
I guess everyone's got a different way of doing things.
I also use the 4 outer intake bolts.

-
Back