318 LA engine timing cover/oil pan gasket questions

-

JeffreyLee

1965 Barracuda
Reaction score
I am beginning re-assembly of my 318 LA motor. The fel-pro gasket set has what appears to be 2 sets of oil pan to timing cover gaskets....I assume one for the older and another for the newer 318's. I cant find a video describing installation of the older style front and rear gaskets. Do I simply apply a generous bead of the black RTV in the image to the underside of the rubber gasket when I install? I suppose the nubs on the gasket are just for alignment and get cut off when you are cinched down. Yes? Also a side note, should I paint my oil pan engine color or black? Just a preference? Thanks in advance.
oil pan timing gasket.jpg

By the way....that RTV is going to be needed on both sides of the rubber gasket. Things are going to get a little messy. This is the right way to go about this correct? I only have one chance to get this right while everything is easy to get to..re installation sequence is timing cover first then oil pan?

There are 273 and 318 gaskets, and 340/360 gaskets in that kit. In terms of the end seals - either will work, but if your pan has the holes I's use the 273/318 design that has all the nubs ([pictured laying on the pan). I use a dab of RTV in the corners under the end seal (between pan and seal). I leave the rest dry. Make sure both the pan and block are clean and oil free - including oil from your skin.

Apply a modest amount of RTV, not excessive amounts. Too much RTV acts like a lube and the gaskets can move. On the side rail gaskets, just use a skim coat.

You use the nubs to pull the gasket in place before installing. Once inserted into the holes, you DO need to pull them through all the way, so that the little conical part is pulled through and on the underside of the pan flange. A pair of pliers and a steady pull with a circular wiggling motion will get them pulled through. You can cut them off or leave them as you desire after the installation.

Paint? I have no opinion!

BTW, make sure the hole in the side rails of the pan are flat; it not, support with a small wood block and lightly hammer flat.

Tighten the bolts evenly and go around and around the pan, increasing the torque a little at a time; I tighten every other bolt lightly and then go back around for the other half of the bolts, and keep doing that over and over, just adding a little bit of torque at a time. If you get to the point where the side gaskets start to squeeze out ever so slightly, STOP... that is tight enough.

-
Back