318 LA Rocker arms stampings and orientation

-

JeffreyLee

1965 Barracuda
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am ready to re-install my 318 LA engine into my 65 Barracuda. Here is an image of the block stamping.
img-5641-jpg.jpg

When I took apart my engine and ran the numbers, the engine was re-built using 273 heads and stock intake. Since I am using a new Edelbrock Performer intake, I sought out some new, matching 318 heads. Pictured
unnamed-jpg.jpg

Re-installed the lifters in their original correct sequence. Took out my rocker arms and did some test fitting. I noticed that the rocker arms are stamped and not shaped the same way. I thought that I kept my rocker arms on their shaft in the position that they came off the car, but maybe not. Looking at the stampings, I see RH and LH stampings as well as the pushrod pocket being off-centered in some of the rockers. I have RH and L stampings mixed up on the rocker shaft right now. Can someone help me with the proper sequence of the rocker arms and the left hand/right hand orientation? Also, I noticed that the rocker shaft is held away from it's receiving location on the heads....I assume that the valve springs will become compressed as I tighten the rocker shaft into position. Thanks in advance...
img-5638-jpg.jpg

The notch must be pointed down towards the firewall on the passenger side, the notch points down towards the front of the car on the driver side. Use lock tite when you torque it down. Yes once you torque them each snug in sequence and when fully torqued they will fit correctly

The rockers should have an left and right stamped on them....left and right is for each set of valves....not sides of the engine...

The notch must be pointed down towards the firewall on the passenger side, the notch points down towards the front of the car on the driver side. Use lock tite when you torque it down. Yes once you torque them each snug in sequence and when fully torqued they will fit correctly
I always put the notch to my bottom left, no matter what side I'm on

-
Back