318 Misfire

-

helliphinon8

Reaction score
I need help, or validation from all of the other threads I've read to just get a new dizzy. I have a '70 318 with a stock points distributor & coil in a '69 dart /6 car. 600cfm eddie 2176 performer dual plane and dual exhaust.
I'm just wanting to cruise it around town on vacation here in AZ, but the car misfires at idle, and at cruising. At cruising it almost feels like surging, but you can clearly hear the misfiring with the loud exhaust. It's driving me nutz. It has only happened under hard throttle a couple of times. My old man replaced the cap & rotor, points, VR, ballast resistor and new plugs and wires.
As of this moment, I have no timing light to know what he set it to. Should have one tomorrow. Only thing that wasn't replaced was the vacuum advance.....I'm sure I forgot a lot.
Thx!
N8

I'd agree very first thing is points, condenser and time it. Timing by ear is no good, especially if you are chasing troubles. How do you know it's ignition?

I'd agree very first thing is points, condenser and time it. Timing by ear is no good, especially if you are chasing troubles. How do you know it's ignition?
I totally agree with the timing. My dad sets all timing by ear. Everything on the fuel side is new from tank to carb. Fuel line was blown out, no blockages there.

So, he had the timing @ 10° BTDC, I bumped it up to 15° and it liked it under throttle....but still misfiring at idle and cruising. @Jadaharabi, good suggestion. Napa has a stock replacement coil on hand, thinking of trying that since this one is 50 yrs old.

Replaced the condenser and coil with new parts from Napa and re-adjusted the points to .017 and it straightened it right out. Runs great. I did notice that it took over 15mmHg of vacuum to even start to engage the vacuum advance, so I'll probably be ordering one of those next. Thanks for all of the suggestions guys!

Set the points with a dwell meter, it doesn't really matter what the gap is.

-
Back