318 motor mounts

-

72Plymouth

Reaction score
The motor mounts aren't looking too good. I'm thinking about replacing them. Is it pretty simple or is it best to wait until I have the engine is rebuilt in the next couple of years? The transmission will be done first in the next couple of months.

mount1.jpg

mount2.jpg

simple to do, just 2 nuts on each motor mount. just a jack with a good sized block of wood under the pan so you don't crush it and do one side at a time. while your at it if you want ask for the mounts for a later truck like a D100 since they are the same bolt pattern but come with interlocks at the end in case they break again.

Thanks. What's the trick for getting to the two bolts? I tried a 3/4" wrench but it didn't work right because of the angle and length. Seems like you would need a long wrench.

I was just trying with a standard wrench. What is the universal one you are talking about?

I think he means U-joint, that extention in the socket set, that bends and twists.

Ohh I was trying to use a regular wrench not a socket. I might be able to get a deep socket on the bottom nut. But, the upper nut inside the bracket between the block is a tight area.

About the only way I know of is to take the brackets off the engine, then you can get a deep socket on that top nut. You might be able to get a 3/8's socket over the nut with the brackets on.

Ok thanks. I was thinking that it would be tricky to line up those three smaller holes when you are reconnecting it.

I did mine this past winter, if they're really stuck on like mine were taking the engine out works well

yeah, jack motor slightly, take the brackets off the motor and jack it up. Then take the lower nut off and the mount will fall to the floor. Then you can take the upper nut out with it in a vice. installation is reverse, mount to bracket, mount to frame, lower motor and align bracket holes and slip 'em in. Interlocking mounts from MAgnumForce or the mentioned later truck mounts are a good idea. Most chain parts store mounts are made in India now and are kinda hit and miss on quality.

-
Back