318 no start after sitting

-
The distributor's toast I believe. There's a ton of corrosion on the rotor and cap and all the bolts holding the circuit board on are rusted badly as well. Being that it's an electronic ignition with circuit board, the boards probably fried killing the dist.

Do you have ANY OTHER distributor which will fit your engine? Points or magnetic, you can wire it up to the 6AL.

No I'm ordering a new one off of summit though.
I'm thinking pertronix flame thrower, any ideas?

I get zero tac signal out of it, tested it with a known good tach that worked with the e-curve before. Plus the EFI isn't reading any rpm either when hooked up to the distributor and I know the dist. is getting power.

What happens is the circuit board is not covered and any slag or corrosion coming off the rotor and such will fall onto the board short circuiting it and killing it.

That MSD dist. MIGHT be a magnetic pickup. If it is, you can gut the electronics, and feed the internal magnetic pickup to the MSD 6AL and you won't need the original board in the MSD dist.

alright I've got spark at the coil AND at the distributor cap.
Somethings up with something, don't know yet.

Alright she starts now just fine. Absolutely no idea what I did which is what worries me. Same thing as Friday, randomly starts working again. Then doesn't after it sits for awhile as I cam back the next day and it exhibited the same problems. Maybe not this time.
This is with the 6A not wired in and the coil hot wired to the battery.
There seems to be a sequence I have to do to get is started or at least it helps for some reason.
I still would like to find an answer as to why this is happening but at least I'm farther along than before :)

The car needs to be re-wired anyways so I may fix the radiator and than pull all the wiring out and start over. If the problem persists than it's going to be easier to pinpoint as I'm not having to run around a rats nest of crap and such to tie in points.

I think you already found the problem -- junk, dirt, moisture on the circuit board of the dist. I tried to tell you before, I BELIEVE that distributor is magnetic pickup just like a Mopar. You should be able (I believe) to yank the board out of the MSD dist. and trigger the magnetic input of the MSD 6 directly.

What you REALLY have with the MSD 6 is TWO ignition systems---the junk in the dist, and the MSD 6.

The connector on the distributor isn't the magnetic pickup style connector but I could wire it like that by modifying it?

*edit* I do agree though that I think if anythings not working right it's the distributor due to the crap on the board. Tried to clean it off but eh we'll see. Fired up again right now after sitting for over and hour. Any good, relatively cheap distributors out there as a back up for this thing.

I believe so. Unfortunately MSD does not seem to have parts breakdowns, etc, of their distributors.

If you could post some photos, I think we could figure it out. What little the destructions show re: setting the advance bushings indicates that it's a magnetic pickup driving the internal guts.

I did a little web searching, with little results. MSD's attitude seems to be "send it back to us."

I don't suppose it's still under the (on year?) warrantee?

maybe just ended or about to but I really don't care. I've had enough trouble with trying to set it right as it works a** backwards that regular ones. My dad's an engineer and so am I for the most part and neither of use could figure the damn thing out :D haha.
So I want something more standard but not looking to spend the money on a nice one at the moment.

If we can convert this one I'd be down. I'll take a look at it Tuesday and take pics.

-
Back