318 not a 360 help please!

-

Chryslerkid

Reaction score
Alright guys,

I am a rookie to this game.... I thought I had a 360, but as it turns out, it's just a little 318. The casting numbers are 4387530-31823 in case anyone wants to verify and educate me a little more. I am still going to put this lil engine in my car slant 6 '71 dodge dart swinger. In the mean time, who knows if I have to do anything different when I install the 318 compared to if I was dropping in a 360? Thanks everyone. Any information/help is appreciated.:eek:ops::sign3::blob:

Yeah. You need a small block transmission for starters.

I have the complete drivetrain still intact from engine to yolk. The engine is complete from carburetor to oil pan. That's all I know now. Starting from ground zero....

I have the complete drivetrain still intact from engine to yolk. The engine is complete from carburetor to oil pan. That's all I know now. Starting from ground zero....

So you have the 318 drivetrain?

The two differences between a 318 swap and a 360 swap are the driver side engine bracket and a balanced converter or flex plate for a 360 and neutral balanced converter or flex plate for the 318.

Of course what else that needs to be done to get either motor in your car depends on what your stuff came out of.

Yeah. You need a small block transmission for starters.
Missed that. Aren't they both small block?
There is a tranny difference though, the 360 is "externally balanced" with weights on the torque converter, so you will at least need the torque converter for a 360.
The oil pan is different on a 360, but I assume you have the oil pan.
The motor mounts are different on a 360 (one side only, I recall). Many posts on this, so search.
I assume these are both LA engines. The later Magnum engines - 5.2L and 5.9L - are also called 318 and 360 (which they are), but they differ a bit from LA engines.

Yep! I don't have a 360/727 drivetrain, I have a 318/904 drivetrain. I bought this drivetrain from a guy on craigslist in my area who told me otherwise and since I didn't know any better, I assumed he was right. Durrr! My ignorance got the better of me. On top of that, I had to clean up the engine just to see the casting number on the block to realize that I had a completely different motor! Oh well. You live and you learn right?? So back to my 318 deal....what can I expect to run into? I have already gotten with a local guy in my area who is selling me drag style headman headers, an oil pan, and valve covers, for this build.

Yep! I don't have a 360/727 drivetrain, I have a 318/904 drivetrain. I bought this drivetrain from a guy on craigslist in my area who told me otherwise and since I didn't know any better, I assumed he was right. Durrr! My ignorance got the better of me. On top of that, I had to clean up the engine just to see the casting number on the block to realize that I had a completely different motor! Oh well. You live and you learn right?? So back to my 318 deal....what can I expect to run into? I have already gotten with a local guy in my area who is selling me drag style headman headers, an oil pan, and valve covers, for this build.
dude dont panic.
the running list in your other thread still applies EXCEPT

you can use your driveshaft with no mods
318 and 360 oil pans DO NOT INTERCHANGE ...make damn sure the pan you get is a 318 car oil pan
make sure the headers are for a small block A body

dont expect a 10 second street machine

..and , as joe stated the 318 car drivers side engine mount bracket is different from a 360

Ok. Thanks y'all. I'll get her done. I'm not expecting a street performer, just a nice little driver.

If your car still has the slant six k-member then you will have to buy motor mounts that will allow the V-8 318 to fit and line up properly. Stock V-8 mounts will not work.

You also may have a transmission kickdown linkage fit issue.
Does the 318 have a two or four-barrel carburetor? You should buy an aftermarket kickdown cable conversion kit to eliminate the linkage problem

You might have a cooling issue if the slant six radiator is not big enough. Find the part number on the radiator and you could cross reference it to see if it is rated for a 318.

Never mind my comments. I didn't know that you had another thread that already addressed them.

i would not waste money on hedman headers they dont fit and will most likely drag on the ground with every bump hit thats my experience with them anyways

I thought he said he had a slant in it now.

Missed that. Aren't they both small block?
There is a tranny difference though, the 360 is "externally balanced" with weights on the torque converter, so you will at least need the torque converter for a 360.
The oil pan is different on a 360, but I assume you have the oil pan.
The motor mounts are different on a 360 (one side only, I recall). Many posts on this, so search.
I assume these are both LA engines. The later Magnum engines - 5.2L and 5.9L - are also called 318 and 360 (which they are), but they differ a bit from LA engines.

That trans will work just fine.

apparently , it was a /6 car, that someone put a pre 73 V8 K member in , and left him the driveshaft.

You will need a center sump oil pan if you don't have one all ready any headers would do the job tti have some good one that wont get road rash. If your on a tight budget some hookers or hedman will due but thay will eventally will hit the ground like every body has. but thay due work well. Also water pumps are different from 60s and 70s the inlet is on the 60 is on the driver side and the 70s is on the passenger side so be careful on choosing a radiator.

Lol. I know I've had lots of threads going guys. I am a noobie so I just don't want to make all the mistakes that can be avoided by using you guys knowledge and experience. I'll make sure to get the parts and I'll make it work. One last question though, since I have the v8 k frame installed. And yes the man is correct in sayin that there is already a slant six in the car right now.

No biggie. Maybe you could ask the mods to combine them if they are all in the same section. We'll get you headed in the right direction. Don't worry about it being "just a 318". The 318 was one of the best engines any automaker ever produced. It is an awesome foundation.

Right on! Thanks for the info and support y'all. It'll be worth it I'm sure after everythng is said and done. I'll make you guys proud!

I think you need a v8 centre link as well.The slant centre link is straight but the V8 has a dip in the middle.

No need to worry,the 318 can be a great performer,even on the cheap you can easily build 300 h.p.

im still wondering about the /6 engine that is still in the car with a supposed V8 K member. are there conversion mounts to put a slant in a V8 car?

im still wondering about the /6 engine that is still in the car with a supposed V8 K member. are there conversion mounts to put a slant in a V8 car?

My understandin is that the 73 and up spool mount K frames were all the same in A bodies and the mounts were what was different. .

Obviously I am not an expert on this stuff, but I did drop a new slant six into this car only a few months ago. That being said, the slant six mounts look to be aftermarket in order to fit the v8 k member.

-
Back