318 oil pan

-

71DusterFE5

Reaction score
Good day everyone,

I just got this 71 Duster and the oil pan is cracked. The dude tightened the drain plug so much that it cracked below the treads and it leaked.

I have an old 318 oil pan that is stamped 392. It has the same shape as the damaged one. See the attached picture of my replacement oil pan. The oil pan on the car is stamped 388. Is there a difference between the two?
Will this 392 fit on that 318 engine?
Hard to tell from underneath the car and I will be changing it without taking the engine out.

Also, I ordered a gasket kit that looks like the front gasket is the wrong one the front of the pan does not have the two holes to thread the nipple of the gasket in. I have to go back to the part store I guess.
This time I’ll bring the pan with me now since it's all cleaned up and painted.

Thank you for your time.

IMG_0237.jpeg

IMG_0240.jpeg

IMG_0239.jpeg

I bought a new one from Dorman a few years back for a 318. It was around $60
It may be available from Summit in the replacement parts department.
I believe that is where I got mine from. My 2 cents..

Be careful screwing around with pans. Especially some of the knock off replacements, (I think Milodon?) interfere with some performance oil pumps Make sure you check that. It is possible for the rear of the pan to stress the pump and crack the casting.

Yes dry fit the pan before applying paint or sealant, in case you need to make some clearance dimples.
And verify you can loosen the drain plug before installation.

I bought a new one from Dorman a few years back for a 318. It was around $60
It may be available from Summit in the replacement parts department.
I believe that is where I got mine from. My 2 cents..

The 392 is a 360 pan and won’t work for the 318/340.
Be careful screwing around with pans. Especially some of the knock off replacements, (I think Milodon?) interfere with some performance oil pumps Make sure you check that. It is possible for the rear of the pan to stress the pump and crack the casting.
I removed an oil pan of one 318 engine I have. This one is stamped 294. The gasket kit I initially got for the spare pan fit on it perfectly.
The shape looks like the damaged pan stamp 288 but hard to tell if it's the same depth. I clean it out and sand it to bare metal for inspection. Prime it and paint it Chrysler blue. The plug is going in and out easily and got a new seal for it.

I had to learn this lesson the hard way. I bought a new 394 pan to go on my 360 and it obviously didn’t fit! My first 360 build and I assumed they were just like the 273-318-340.

I had to learn this lesson the hard way. I bought a new 394 pan to go on my 360 and it obviously didn’t fit! My first 360 build and I assumed they were just like the 273-318-340.
Yeah, that’s the pan that came with the car. The guy said he had a spare pan for the car since the one on the car was cracked.
You better read what you typed, I'm like, "whut?"
sorry, my bad. I used voice to text and I didn’t double-check Siri. I did go back and edit the post. Thank you.

You should save that 360 pan, just in case you ever decide to put an LA 360 in your car. The 360 pan will also work on any Magnum engine, be it a 5.2 or a 5.9. A man can never have too many spare parts.....lol.

:thumbsup:

Long ago and far away, in the mid 70's, I put a !!!!!!!! 360 !!!!!! into what used to be my 440-6 RoadRunner, and put the 340 that I HAD swapped into it into my old Toyota FJ40 RR. Obviously, this is long before Al Gore invented the internet, and in the back woods of N Idaho.

I actually took a scrap block, made a sort of trapezoid shaped cutting jig, and cut part of the rear of the 360 (truck) pan out, cut the same piece out of the (car) 340 pan, swapped the pieces, and gas welded them back in. PRESTO. A truck 340 pan and a car 360 pan!!

-
Back