318 or 273?

-

Ahr

Reaction score
Can u guys please tell me which one is better to build between 273 and 318? $ cost wise and the outcome thank you because I couldn't decide between two? Is 318 more have parts available?

more parts available for 318...especially pistons

I agree with Tony...^^^^^.

Since this is in the Slant 6 Forum, keep in mind you'll need a trans also. Do some searching around here. A lot of threads will be helpful for the swap. Good Luck, and enjoy the new found power/torque. :D

Several reasons "you might" want to go with a 318

I never can remember for certain "when," 68? Ma changed from the small to the large register crank. Now, if you have a late engine (large register) you can get / make a bushing to use an early transmission (automatic) but it's more work and expense to go the other way

You should be able to pick up a 318 pretty cheap on CL or elsewhere. As above, "way" more parts available for them.

The only reason I'd build a 273 would be for a "correct" resto

The biggest one I ever saw was a 286. The block was wet sleeved to take the bore out to 3.7" and it was stroked to 4.44". Based on that, I don't think a 318 is even possible and a 273 would be horribly expensive. Probably the best bang for the buck would be the 198 rod, 2.2 Turbo piston, 225 that will give ~240 cubes, and they ain't cheap. Your best bet for those kind of cubes in an affordable package would be a V8...

Answer depends on the car (so many posters keep that secret). In a 63-66, a 318 will be easier since a 62-66 V-8 oil pan is needed to clear the steering, and won't fit a 360. If looking for a used engine, 318's are everywhere. I saw several 80's Mopars at PickNPull a week ago. Also consider a Magnum 318 (5.2L), which is a cheap way to get MPFI and overdrive if you take the tranny (must re-shape car's tunnel). If power and after-market parts is your goal, a 360 (or 5.9L Magnum) is better.

bottom ends are the same motor, except..... the 318 has a much bigger bore. Now, you tell me the reason to go with the 273..??

-
Back