318 pefromance help

-

cinimod2

Reaction score
Alright i have a 318 with a 904 3speed auto trans in my 75 dodge dart sport. Ive already got a bigger cam, edlebrock 4 barrel carb(650cfm),Edlebrock perfromer intake, and Hooker headers. I was wondering if there was any way to get a little more power out of my 318 w/o having to put new pisotons in and taking the whole engine apart. I know a 360 is a better way to go but i dont have the money to do so. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Dom

Alright i have a 318 with a 904 3speed auto trans in my 75 dodge dart sport. Ive already got a bigger cam, edlebrock 4 barrel carb(650cfm),Edlebrock perfromer intake, and Hooker headers. I was wondering if there was any way to get a little more power out of my 318 w/o having to put new pisotons in and taking the whole engine apart. I know a 360 is a better way to go but i dont have the money to do so. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Dom

Look into a used NOS set up and hit it with a 125 shot. That stuff is selling for real cheap right now!

When you say 302 heads do you mean heads from a ford 302 engine or is it sOmething else.
Thanks Dom

Will I have to change my intake and headers if I change to the 302 heads? Sorry If these are stupid question im newer to this but trying to learn more.

302 is casting. You don't have to change anything. Pick yourself up a Mopar Engine Tech book. It will help you. What size cam are you putting in like a 268 comp cam?

Get casting 302 heads port em there bolt in heads..... And get a xe268 comp cam and a edelbrock air gap intake

Will I have to change my intake and headers if I change to the 302 heads? Sorry If these are stupid question im newer to this but trying to learn more.

Dom, no worries here bro. We all gotta learn. It justsucks when somepoeple forget they were once new to the game.

Grab a few books to read and you'll be fine.

really ?????:joker:

Yes, realllly, he's a rookie to the game and doesn't need crap, but help.

Are you in or just into ding dong posts?

I keep hearing the 302 heads are the ones to use. Look for 318's made between '85-'91.

Another option is a set of 360 heads. They must be shaved for use on a 318 so that it doesn't kill your compression ratio though. You do gain bigger valves over the 318 heads.

Aerohead racing (google it) is a great way to go. You can get a set of 318 heads from them with heavier duty valve springs and larger valves. These are ready to bolt on for $399. That's hard to beat once you figure in the price of having a set redone at the machine shop.

I think the 340/360 heads are about $500 as well.

msd makes street fire products, sorta like the 6al. there little boxes that instead of only sparking once spark multiple times. look into a electronic distributer and even a coil. e3 spark plugs have dynoed at like 5 more hp but arent cheap compared to normal plugs

street fire is just like the wal mart version of msd... chep but will help

Build that one and see how it MPH's at the track... You'll be disappointed.

There's even admissions in magazines that the numbers from that place were inflated by at least 5%, more like 10% in most cases. I've personally seen 10% from that place to another dyno the next day. They NEVER tend to run that stuff in cars either. Even the ford guys know the real deal with westech. Maybe they have it fixed now.

-
Back