318 question

-

38 Dodge

Reaction score
I was at the local pick a part yesterday and found a 318 in a 1980ish truck the intake was off and the block was clean to the piont of it look like to had jusst came from a machine shop. the question I have is that it had a metal plate which ran the length of the block and looked like it held the lifters in place. I have not seen this before and was wondering if this was a block I should snatch up or not?
Any ideas would be a hellp, I really don't need the engiine but if it was a block worth saving I will.

it is a metal plate, what can you tell me about these motors, are they worth saving?

Did it look like this?

Attachments

• chucker54_2240_3164727.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 417
Good point Bad Sport.

If it happened to look like this?
View attachment 1e.jpg

Did you notice if it had 5 or 10 valve cover bolts? or pedestal rockers? Someone may have dropped a Magnum in it at some point.

If it looks like the second picture by Oldman rick its a "spider" hold down and the block/engine is worth saving in my opinion. Roller lifters are superior to flat tappet in my opinion but aftermarket shafts are more expensive.

If it looks like the second picture by Oldman rick its a "spider" hold down and the block/engine is worth saving in my opinion. Roller lifters are superior to flat tappet in my opinion but aftermarket shafts are more expensive.

Yes but you can re-use the roller lifters, so that off sets the cost by only having to buy a cam.

I would grab that motor for future projects, it is worth saving.

Put one of those in my old truck.Date on the block is 84 first year in a 85 Diplomat 318 roller cam 302 swirl port heads. Runs better than the 360 I pulled out..
Got mine cheap traded some leaf springs for it.Get it if you can.

A few photos

Attachments

• Copy of 88truck_1.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 395
  • Copy of 88truck_2.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 405
  • 88truck_4.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 424
  • 88truck_3.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 419
I have been out pulling home another Barracuda, I will go and try and get that motor tomorrow. from what I remember the lifter holder was the second one in the pictures. The P-N-P charges 165.00 for engines and it is completed less the intake. The rockers did not seem any differant the any other 318? should it haave a different rocker assemble?

Thanks for the in out I will be going tomorrow and picking it up. I will post pictures tomorrow when I get it home.

Mine was the LA. Stamped shaft rockers the same but the pushrods are shorter.

Good evening Dave,
Yes it was I was out there yesterday helping a buddy find some stuff for his Ferd and of course I just had to venture over that way. I was going to go back today but I ended up going and picking up a 67 Barracuda that I found for dirt cheap price.

Put one of those in my old truck.Date on the block is 84 first year in a 85 Diplomat 318 roller cam 302 swirl port heads. Runs better than the 360 I pulled out..
Got mine cheap traded some leaf springs for it.Get it if you can.

SOB, the 318 in my duster is a late 84 block, as far as I have been into it was change the valve cover gaskets.
It has shaft mounted rockers.
I did not think they started roller motors until 86?
But it does run strong no tick or smoke, plus it came with a eddy aluminum intake and 625 carter.
I think I need to dig into it a little more and see what I have, I assumed it was a plain jane pig with lipstick.

Sirland67,
All you would have to do is pull your intake and you should be able to tell right off.

I will try and get some posted tomorrow afternoon as It is late and raining aat the moment. But I will post pictures ASAP.
I'm going to take what I can and use on my 67 project and I'm trying to deside if I should part out the rest or make a drag car out of the shell.

realize though not all post-84 car motors are roller.....mine is an early 87 build, still has hydraulic flat tappets and open chamber heads (360 top end)....but it was a highway patrol motor, hypereutectic pistons with raised pin heights to keep compression in a manageable range. 110,000 miles on the thing and it still had most of the honing marks in the cylinders, doesnt use a drop of oil or smoke whatsoever.

Good evening pentastarnut,
I was pretty cool running into you at the yard, I'm just glad you were running late :), I will try and get thise picture tomorrow, I forgot to get them today I spent most of teh day pulling the reaer end out of the parts car and it has a 8 3/4 sure grip rear end in it, with a V8 K frame with a sway bar, with that and the motor I should be good to go, if I can ever get my body sone on my cuda, I just wish I knew someone who could weld. I suck at it :).
Anyway enough rambling Pnut next time you head over this way shoot me a PM and we will try and meet up.

66, Yeah, one of the great things about ma mopar,You never know what was used when. It may have been different factories in diffrerent states.And guessing when stock was used up.Had a big debate on another Fourm that I didn't know what I was talking about.That's why I took pictures.I have been told that the 360 roller engines did not come into service till 86 but I can't conferm that one.
Oh , one other thing, not all are 4bbl.This was a complete car and was a 2bbl.

Ok so here are a couple of pictures of my 67 that I'm restoring and a couple of the parts car I just picked up.

Attachments

• MC.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 209
  • PC 4.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 215
OK here is a picture of the Engine I started this thread about, the heads on this Block a 4323302 which refer to a 318 fast burn what dose that mean?

Attachments

• Roller Motor 2.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 216
-
Back