318 shortblock, 360 heads...?

-

RudyGlez

Reaction score
Hello guys this is my 1st post and i'd like to know if the 318 i got in my mexican '67 Barracuda was an option state side. It's a 318 short block with 360 big valve heads, 340 camshaft rated at 270hp, i read this was an expensive option in the US and would like to know more about it if posible. Any pointers or links i could check out? Thanks.

OH, forgot to ad, Welcome aboard!

Hello guys this is my 1st post and i'd like to know if the 318 i got in my mexican '67 Barracuda was an option state side. It's a 318 short block with 360 big valve heads, 340 camshaft rated at 270hp, i read this was an expensive option in the US and would like to know more about it if posible. Any pointers or links i could check out? Thanks.

The '67 Barracuda's in the U.S.A. were available with the standard engine, a /6. IIRC, it was a 225. IDK about carb options for that engine.

Then the option box could be checked with the following;

318 2bbl.
340 4bbl
383 4bbl

I do not think the 440 was an option, not sure.

The 318 4bbl did not make an appearance until the mid to late 70's. IIRC, it was labeled as an E58 option. 318 4bbl Thermoquad carb with 360 heads. Standard 318 cam was in it.

The 318 was never given a hotter cam.
The 360 4bbl. option did have the earlier 340 cam. Also a windage tray, double roller timing chain. Though the 360 never cam with big valves, justthe 1.88 - 1.60 units.

IMO, unless there is a special Mexican offering, what you have is what someone tinkered with or a lie.

I would say that nothing about that makes sense.

The 318's never came with big valves from the factory, in fact, they never came from the factory with anything other than 1.78/1.50" valves. 360's never came from the factory with big valves either, only 1.88/1.60's.

And the obvious, if they are 360 heads, they weren't made until at least 1971, making it a little hard for them to come stock on a '67.

And as rumblefish pointed out, the 318 never came with a hotter cam. Just one, plain old stocker, no options.

Now, the final kicker- the 318 was not an option in 1967. At least not in the US. The 273 was the optional small block V8 in '67, available in 2 or 4 barrel models.

Maybe the Mexican version came with a 318, but in the US the 318 wasn't available in the barracuda until 1968. So, my bet would be that the 318 isn't even stock to your car. It probably started life as a 273 car, or possibly even a /6 car. The 318 with all the later model goodies was probably swapped in later.

Ahhhhhhhhhh thanks! I didn't know that a 318 wasn't an option, hummmmm, cool.
Maybe Rudy's car has a 273 in it?????

Rudy, look on the drivers side of the block to see the raised numbers. In the row of numbers, the displacement should be on it. IF you see "273" or a "318", then that is the size of the engine.

The 360 head HP 318 didn't make an appearance till much later. I do not remember when that 4bbl 318 first appeared. But it was in the mid-70's for sure.

Check the 5th letter on your VIN. Mine is BH27E...E being the 274 4 bbl. convertible.

Thanks guys, it is a 318 with the 360 heads (bigger valves than 318 heads is what i meant but if 360s werent built until '71 im gonna have to look into it further), 340 cam and a 4 barrel Thermoquad. Thats was the biggest and only V8 Mopar engine in the mexican line up at the time but again they are not like the regular Barracudas in the US with like 180hp 318s, their consoles are also very strange and dont look like the regular A body 4 speed consoles, they actually look more like the automatic's. All '66 '67 '68 and '69 mexican Barracudas were fast backs, 4spds and 4barrel 318s.

What i heard from my dad and his friends is that they rev very high and were faster than Chevy 350s and Ford 351s, even a friend of his cracked a couple pistons and a head in a '70 Boss 302 racing with a '69 318 GTS and my dad still has that engine.

Im going to look up the engine numbers rather than the VIN since they dont have the same codes as the US models.

Rudy -
What you have is a Chrysler de Mexico engine , and possibly even a Mexico-built car .

The 318's in Mexican-built cars had 340 top ends , plus an exclusive-to-Mexico air cleaner assembly.

1967 Barracudas in the U.S. were available with :

- 225 Slant Six (standard)
- 273 two barrel V8
- 273 four barrel (Formula 'S' )
- 383 four barrel (measly 280 horsepower)

The 340 didn't premiere until the 1968 model year , which was the same year that the 383 got a bump in power to 300 horsepower
( via '906 heads , better camshaft specifications , and a bigger carburettor ).

The 440 was available only in 1969 , on the " 'Cuda 440 " model
( built solely to qualify for Stock / Super Stock classes ).

Do you have any photographs of your car and or its engine ?

Buenos Dia :glasses7:

I do but not on this computer, im going to look them up and post them here. Thanks for the 340 top end clarification, i was starting to feel naive, lol.

I have heard about the hot 4BBL Mexican 318 engine
another member on here from Mexico has one
I would love to learn more about them
they were never available in the U.S.

I'm going to throw a wrench in the works. I swear I read an article last year about the Mexican Mopars using the 318 with a 340 top end in their production cars. I've looked all over for it and cannot locate it. I'll keep looking but maybe someone here has it.

I'm going to throw a wrench in the works. I swear I read an article last year about the Mexican Mopars using the 318 with a 340 top end in their production cars. I've looked all over for it and cannot locate it. I'll keep looking but maybe someone here has it.

yup that's what he's got

I do but not on this computer, im going to look them up and post them here. Thanks for the 340 top end clarification, i was starting to feel naive, lol.

Rudy, we all are in one area or another. Beautiful ting the forum. We all help each other out when we can. It's great when one of the fella's step up and says - "I now this" and there dead right.

The 318 can rev really high. It just needs the right valve spring on the cam to do so.

I'd like to know more about these Mexican 318's as well..had no idea. I'd say they ran great!

Me too!

Rudy, we all are in one area or another. Beautiful ting the forum. We all help each other out when we can. It's great when one of the fella's step up and says - "I now this" and there dead right.

The 318 can rev really high. It just needs the right valve spring on the cam to do so.

Me too!
look now everyone wants to know about the magic mexican 318 lol that is a cool article they were alot of different vehicle offerings and no318s after 74? they must have alot of 360 cores for the taking...

Hell ya! I'm jealous, they got something we didn't!
Seriously, how cool is that though?

Learn something new everyday! Heck, if we'd gotten 340 headed 318's here in the US maybe 318's wouldn't have such a bad rep...

Learn something new everyday! Heck, if we'd gotten 340 headed 318's here in the US maybe 318's wouldn't have such a bad rep...

i never thought they had a bad rep, but they never had a performance rep even chevy losers admit that its one of the most durable engines out there but when you don't make power they do run long. chevy knuckle heads do nothing but brag all day about 327. just think if chry-mex 318 were in the u.s. the 327 would just be another crappy chevy to even the chevy guys hahahahahaha

sorry if your a chevy guy wellll no im not they suck and you should know!!

NO THERE NOT. the engines we use are esentally designed in the 60s during the nascar golden age when you and i could actually by the cars they used and if you were smart enough to know what your doing you could have victory. between 1964 till 1974 chevy had 40 total victories, ford had 154 victories, mercury which was running ford engines had 61 victories, that's a total for ford of 215, Chrysler number were even higher Plymouth 163 dodge 125 total Chrysler was 288 now in these years they used mostly big block engines but there were often small blocks used. 1972 was really the first big push to make the engines go to the current 358 limit and thats when stock also went out the window in 1972 nascar allowed chevy to use after market cranks and rods Chrysler and ford use over the counter factory parts. the year Chrysler opted out of nascar and stopped factory backing was 1976. in 1977 chevy got after market heads not for ford or Chrysler. all of this was done so that chevy could catch up to the other two makers i call that crap but nun the less this is also the reason for the cheep chevy parts cause when the after market guys could tool up and make parts and the racers were guaranteed to purchase them then you may as well sell them to the public. another note about nascar engine rules the ford engine was closes to stock of engines going into 2000. the chevys were the furthest sorry but chevy suck!!

Chevys do suck, but I've had to push both the fords I had. I didn't have to push my chevys. Either way you look at it though. They're both junk.

-
Back