318 stroker

-

Lockmaster

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am new here and I love MOPAR. I own a 1965 dodge dart gt 318. I have a new 318 bare block bored 30 over and would like to build a 390 stroker motor. I have a set of stock recondition rods, a new set of Kb pistons flat top 2 valve relief around 9 to 1 cp. I have been told just replace the crank with a 4.00 crankshaft to convert the engine to a stroker is this true? If not what parts will I need without buying a kit.

If the KB pistons are for a 4.00 inch stroke you are fine. If they are for a stock stroke crankshaft, you will need different pistons. Look up the piston number to be sure or measure the compression height and compare it to a stock pistons compression height . You need less than stock 'with the stroker.

You have to have special 4" stroke, 3.945" bore piston to run with that 4" stroke crank. No normal 318 type replacement pistons will fit because the crank will push them up out of the block. The pistons are expensive, but the crank is the same as the 340 stroker crank and is fairly inexpensive all things considered. Just don't use the Eagle cast version. Factory rods can be used but you will need to notch the bottom of the bores because the nuts of the rod cap bolts will hit. You will also want to replace any 318-type head you might have with the 340/360 heads.

Whoa! Is that 318 a "Poly" 318 or a LA 318 or a Magnum 318?

-
Back