318 t/b swap onto 360 carbed

-

Dart360Custom

Reaction score
my uncle has a 90 ish model van with a 318 he is giving me for a little of nothing and i have thought about trying to swap my dart over to the TBI setup on the van how feasable is this swap? Im aware of what the fuel system will require, Wondering about what kind of wiring mess it will be, Im looking to gain fuel milage and wouldnt mind a small power loss as this is my daily driver and cruising car. Any input appreciated

The truth?

With a properly tuned carb you'll get better mileage and power from a carbed induction engine.
I have done a Magnum conversion into a '68 Dart and it's a bit of a hassle, but the TBI set-up is not really any harder to do, just less powerful and more finicky to work with.

I've owned and driven Magnum powered vehicles and their fuel mileage really isn't the greatest, but the power over the TBI engines is quite noticeable.
The TBI engines do seem to do better, mileage-wise, however.

If I were going to do a V-6 or V-8 TBI conversion, I'd use the '90-'92 360 set-up, or the '90-'91 318 set-up, as the wiring is a bit more simplified over the pre-'90 set-up.

Mark.

Mark Nixon said:
The truth?

With a properly tuned carb you'll get better mileage and power from a carbed induction engine.
I have done a Magnum conversion into a '68 Dart and it's a bit of a hassle, but the TBI set-up is not really any harder to do, just less powerful and more finicky to work with.

I've owned and driven Magnum powered vehicles and their fuel mileage really isn't the greatest, but the power over the TBI engines is quite noticeable.
The TBI engines do seem to do better, mileage-wise, however.

If I were going to do a V-6 or V-8 TBI conversion, I'd use the '90-'92 360 set-up, or the '90-'91 318 set-up, as the wiring is a bit more simplified over the pre-'90 set-up.

Mark.

Thanks for the reply, the van is an 89 i had just checked. The car gets about 17-19 mpg on average as it sits with a 700 double pumper holley. I was trying to edge my way to the mid 20's.The power im not really worried abouts long as it doesnt kill it but i didnt get the car to race but to drive around and enjoy.

Drop to a 600 CFM vacuum seconday carb and you will help torque and maybe gain a mile or 2 in mileage.
As you stand right now I'd say you aren't going to get a lot more mileage out of it, but I could be wrong.

What gears are you running? A 360 can handle 2.76s in an A body without lugging it.

Mark.

Mark Nixon said:
Drop to a 600 CFM vacuum seconday carb and you will help torque and maybe gain a mile or 2 in mileage.
As you stand right now I'd say you aren't going to get a lot more mileage out of it, but I could be wrong.

What gears are you running? A 360 can handle 2.76s in an A body without lugging it.

Mark.

Its has 3.55's with a 225/70/15.

I swapped the holley out today for a carter competition series i found in the trunk the previous owner removed from the car. CAr feel much more peppy now and seems to get better milage so far will take a week to see if there is a gain .

-
Back