318 timing diagrams and tips

-

firefighter1

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm getting ready to try and fire up my 318 and I wanted to get the proper timing as well as any diagrams of the basic spark wires that go to and from the distributor. Anyone have any useful diagrams of this? I have a stock 318 in my 71 dodge dart swinger. Thanks guys!

Time it with about 10-14 initial. Make sure total is not above about 34-36. You may have to alter the mechanical advance.

wiring... use google if you need a schematic for an MP electronic set up

plug wires follow the fireing order around the cap,..put number 1 piston to tdc,..check rotor buttun for number one location on cap....

I googled and only found a couple of diagrams on the wiring is this accurate?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 516
Home > Engine Specs > Small Chrysler
Garage Mechanic Gift for the Gearhead in Your Family!​
Small Chrysler
273, 318, 340, 360 A Engines
Firing Order
V8_18436572.gif

Cylinder NumberingDistributor Rotation
GM_cyln_1357.gif
V8_dist_ro_c.gif

Rotor Under Cap Spins:​
Clockwise​
Torque Specs
These specs may not be correct for your application.
Verify your engine specs with a service manual for your year and model.
always torque bolts in three equal increments
Bolts or PartsLube or SealerTorque to:Main CapsEngine Oil85 ft-lbs.Warning!!!
If you are using ARP bolts, you MUST use
their specs. Click Here!Connecting Rod Bolts (Plain)Engine Oil45 ft-lbs.Cylinder Heads
273-318
340-360
Engine oil
(blind hole)
Sealer
(water jacket)

85 ft-lbs.
95 ft-lbs.
Rocker Shaft bracketsEngine Oil17 ft-lbs.Oil Pump CoverEngine Oil95 in-lbs.Oil PumpEngine Oil35 ft-lbs.Oil PanEngine Oil15 ft-lbs.Camshaft Locking BoltThread Locker35 ft-lbs.Front CoverEngine Oil30 ft-lbs.Intake Manifold
(Cast Iron Heads)
Non- Hardening Sealer35 ft-lbs.Valve CoverEngine Oil6 ft-lbs.Water PumpNon- Hardening Sealer30 ft-lbs.Fuel PumpEngine Oil30 ft-lbs.Starter mounting BoltsEngine Oil50 ft-lbs.Exhaust ManifoldAnti-Seize Lubricant30 ft-lbs.Spark PlugsNo Lube or Sealer20 ft-lbs.Flexplate/Flywheel
Thread Locker55 ft-lbs.Clutch Housing BoltsEngine Oil30 ft-lbs.Flexplate to Torque ConverterThread Locker270 in-lbs.Centerbolt
(Harmonic Damper)
Engine Oil135 ft-lbs.Bellhousing
(Transmission to Block)
Engine Oil50 ft-lbs.

-
Back