318 to 360 motor swap. 1974 Plymouth scamp

-

Rusty nails

Reaction score
Ok so I'm wanting to do a 318 to 360 swap. The 360 is bolted to a 727 trans I believe. The 360 is out of a truck. I'm assuming I'll need a oil pan and pick up tube for a car. I know that I'll need a new drive line. Where I'm scratching my head is the motor mounts ... Will the mounts for the 360 need to be for a car? Or is it one of those deals where I need to take out the ones for my 318 and compare? Any info appreciated

the passenger side mount from the 318 will bolt on directly...

the driver side from the 318 can be used by shimming it will washers...

Hahaha it's that easy? Seems to good to be true.. 3/4" or so? And did I have the correct thought on the oil pan and stuff?

yes..you need a center sump pan which fits the cars...and the matching pick up

Ok great! Thank you! This is a build I've wanted to do for along time so thanks again for your help. I may pick your brain again if I run in to any trouble. That's an impressive 71 swinger.

Ok got another one for you. Manifolds or headers? The passenger side manifold will fit, the driver side will not. 360 car manifold? I don't really want to burn up my power steering by running headers

I prefer manifolds over headers for the street. They have less problems and are easier to work around..

Find a set of stock ones that will fit and maybe port them out some to increase flow...

I swapped a 360 into my 318 1969 Barracuda. I used the Schumacher conversion mount on one side - well worth the money.

It is something you can do in your garage with a drill and hacksaw, I did it and am sure I am nit alone. I went from slant 6 to 360 and 318 to 360 should be a lot less complicated.

is it something I should have a shop do?

Nah, if you've got the space and tools to do it yourself I say go for it. When I was 18 I swapped my slant out for a 318 I built and it wasn't that hard. I had no prior engine swapping experience. 318 to 360 should be a piece of cake.

The 318 should have a 904 transmission behind it, which will work with the 360 but you will need a weighted flex plate since the 360 is balanced differently than the 318. Keeping the transmission would let you keep the driveshaft, saving ya quite a bit of cash. A 727 is nice BUT...it eats up more horsepower than a 904, and a 904 is still a durable enough transmission to handle the 360. All the wiring and stuff should transfer right over, and you can reuse your accessories. If you're good with wrenches and a hammer, you could have it swapped in a day :burnout:

Power steering shouldn't be an issue if you get the right headers, which are not necessary if you can give up some horsepower, but if you want headers now is the time. They SUCK to install with the engine in the car. I've been running Hooker Competition headers on my Dart and haven't had any issues with the power steering. If you decide to get headers, definitely get a mini starter too because if it ever goes out, you'll be glad it's a lot smaller than the original style starter. If you go with manifolds (which definitely are easier to work around, as KrazyKuda mentioned), disregard all of what I just said. You could always just use what the 318 currently has and upgrade later. Then you could keep your exhaust system, saving you even more time and money, for now. Since 318's and 360's have the same external dimensions (for the most part), everything should bolt on except the 360 specific parts.

At the very least you will need an oil pan, pickup, and a flex plate. I'm probably forgetting some odds and ends but those are the important bits. I'm not sure about the kickdown linkage and doing a 2bbl to 4 bbl conversion, (I assume the 318 is 2bbl and the 360 isnt)with an automatic transmission because my car is a stick, never had to deal with the auto.. Everything else is optional if you're willing to leave some power on the table or are willing to upgrade things down the road as the budget allows.

Just figure out what your goals are, come up with a plan, and stick to that plan. With good planning it'll be nothin' but a walk in the park! :glasses7: Good luck, and enjoy all that extra torque.

Ok got another one for you. Manifolds or headers? The passenger side manifold will fit, the driver side will not. 360 car manifold? I don't really want to burn up my power steering by running headers

Does someone need "Great flowing A body small block exhaust manifolds??

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC06008.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 317
  • DSC06009.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 349
  • DSC06010.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 320
  • DSC06011.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 336
  • DSC06012.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 316
Thanks for all the input guys. It's helping tremendously!! Does anyone have a part number for the mini starter? I'm gonna stick with the headers. There are some on the 318 that's in it. And I've never seen a weighted flex plate. Where can I get one? And how does the 904 take up less HP than a 727?

Thanks for all the input guys. It's helping tremendously!! Does anyone have a part number for the mini starter? I'm gonna stick with the headers. There are some on the 318 that's in it. And I've never seen a weighted flex plate. Where can I get one? And how does the 904 take up less HP than a 727?

Just go to the parts store and tell them that you have a 90's truck (Ram, Dakota, Jeep) with a 5.2 L or 5.9L in it and they should list the mini starter for them.... I believe that they all took the mini starter...

I also forgot to mention that the 318 I'm running has a 4 bbl Webber on it right now. So I'm hoping the linkage will transfer over to the 360

if U use a 727 U can use the flexplate and 727 convertor U have from the truck. If U want to use a 318 904 U get a 360 weighted flexplate made by B&M for the 318 904 convertor

A starter for a 92 dakota with 5.2 or 5.9 works. I just installed mine last week when I put hooker comps on my 73 dart

if U use a 727 U can use the flexplate and 727 convertor U have from the truck. If U want to use a 318 904 U get a 360 weighted flexplate made by B&M for the 318 904 convertor
Factory made them too. '75-up 360s could get 999s (904s), weren't lockup until IIRC '78.

A starter for a 92 dakota with 5.2 or 5.9 works. I just installed mine last week when I put hooker comps on my 73 dart
Good upgrade, worth doing.

I also forgot to mention that the 318 I'm running has a 4 bbl Webber on it right now. So I'm hoping the linkage will transfer over to the 360

Well.. what will you be changing, or not changing?

You've already got headers? Cool. One less thing to worry about, just get that mini starter.

727's have a larger loss just because everything is bigger. More rotating mass = more parasitic loss. 904's are lighter and only take about 25HP to turn as opposed to about 45HP for the 727, IIRC. Here's a link for the flexplate you were asking about: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-10239/overview/make/dodge

You can beef up a 904 as good as any 727 and it's also lighter and takes less to move it AND you don't need to change your driveshaft. I would use a 360 B&M flex plate and use a neutral converter as suggested.

No amount of "shimming" can make up the space on a nonexistent mount ear/tang. The DS side mount you prolly will have to add an ear to it as there are no provisions on the 360 block aligning with the rear/firewall side mount ear. There are pics in my gallery.

Ok so I'm going to stick with my 904, I'll get the weighted flex plate, and mini starter. I've got the headers.. I'll run those for a bit. Got the oil pan on the way anything else I will need? Been looking for about a 600 cfm Holley carb. If anyone is looking to sell.

-
Back