318 Torque

-

sdolsay

Reaction score
I was wondering, I read a lot of stuff on how to get max HP out of a 318, but I have a 74 Duster with a 318 and I'm wondering on what is the best additions I can add to what I have to make a max torque build on a 318.

Here's what I have and the use I want it for:

#302 heads(stock)
Eddie carb and performer intake
3.55 posi 8 3/4
stock exhaust mani
2.25 duel exhaust
cam unknown, sounds stock
60k on rebuild 1986 block
904 auto(stock)

I think thats all, this car will only be for the street/cruising
It will never see more than 5500 rpm's
300 hp is ok, but am more interested in bottom end torque

Any build suggestions would be helpful :) Thanks!

P.S. I know a 360 will give me more torque, but I'm fond of 318's and want to keep it that way :)

You've got a lot of good things going on already. I'd get headers, port match intake with heads, and step up the cam. What size carb is it? Mike

600 cfm carb, ya headers is a big plus, but I think I'm tramatized by all that I've read about putting headers on a a-body :) I'll have to bite the bullet and do it though...any cam recommendations?

as for the cam check out the summit brand camshafts I run there .441" lift cam in my mild 318. and there only about 80 bucks for the cam and lifters.

Heres my 318 build: '77 stock rebuilt shortblock, melling hv oil pump, summit .441" lift cam, speed pro double roller timing chain, 1.88 intake valve 360 heads milled .040", edelbrock performer intake (port matched to the 360 heads), edelbrock 600 cfm carb., dynomax headers, recurved stock electronic dist.

Now this is the type of talk I like. My 318 needs some headers and a bigger cam to get it moving.

sdolsay, I just purchased a Comp XE268 for my 318. If you email Competition Cams and give them your specs on motor and car, they will email you back their opinion on what cam to use. I think other Cam suppliers will do this also. It takes a couple of days for them to respond back, but they will. I'm also port matching my 302 heads with the Edelbrock Performer intake, and some other light porting. I bought Spitfire headers $225 including delivery. TTIs are the best from what I hear, but they're too pricey for me. I'm also running a 4spd with 3.91s and a 750 Holley. Mike

ValiantMike said:
sdolsay, I just purchased a Comp XE268 for my 318. If you email Competition Cams and give them your specs on motor and car, they will email you back their opinion on what cam to use. I think other Cam suppliers will do this also. It takes a couple of days for them to respond back, but they will. I'm also port matching my 302 heads with the Edelbrock Performer intake, and some other light porting. I bought Spitfire headers $225 including delivery. TTIs are the best from what I hear, but they're too pricey for me. I'm also running a 4spd with 3.91s and a 750 Holley. Mike

How much HP/Torque do you think it's going to get you Mike? Check my very amateur and mild setup.

1974 318 Complete rebuild
Mopar RV grind cam
Heads ported and polished
Thermoquad 850 (4bbl of course)
Stock 4bbl Intake
Stock electronic ignition
Stock 318 Manifolds
Dual Dynomax super turbos with crossover
3.55's in the rear
904 with shift kit (shifts quick)
Heavy duty t-bars
SS Leaf Springs

What power do you think this is putting out?

LJS30, I'm hoping for HP in the 325-350 range, but I'm not really sure. It could be a little more or less. I also got the thin MP head gaskets to help up the compression a bit. If I'm not happy with the performance, then I'm going to pull engine and install zero deck pistons.
Your setup sounds good, but I would guess that those stock 318 exhaust manifolds aren't helping you any. Is that an 850 carb you're running?
For what its worth, guys like Moper, BJR Racing, Rumblefish, 340Mopar, Adam, and a host of other guys here with tons more knowledge than me could probably steer you to a real nice combination. Thats where I got all my info. Just keep asking questions. JMO, Mike

ValiantMike said:
LJS30, I'm hoping for HP in the 325-350 range, but I'm not really sure. It could be a little more or less. I also got the thin MP head gaskets to help up the compression a bit. If I'm not happy with the performance, then I'm going to pull engine and install zero deck pistons.
Your setup sounds good, but I would guess that those stock 318 exhaust manifolds aren't helping you any. Is that an 850 carb you're running?
For what its worth, guys like Moper, BJR Racing, Rumblefish, 340Mopar, Adam, and a host of other guys here with tons more knowledge than me could probably steer you to a real nice combination. Thats where I got all my info. Just keep asking questions. JMO, Mike

Cool man, thanks for the input. I think the stock manifolds are definately a draw back to my setup. I just wish those headers were alot easier to install into an A-body.

Headers in an A-body are not that big of a problem. If your engine is out just set the headers in before dropping the engine in and its cake.

The only thing I would think might improve your combo would be a set of ported magnum heads.

Im about to do this swap to my 318 4bbl with 360 heads.I expect to get around 9:1 comp.With headers,mild cam duals etc,325h.p is a conservative guess

I'm thinking about the added expense of having the engine rebuilt and doing a set of KB Hypers and zero decking the block...with the #302 heads would this be good bang for the buck?

Keep the 302 heads, bump compression with KB167 pistons zero deck, keep the cam mild like an XE262, a Performer intake, 600 CFM carb, 1 5/8" headers and a 2200-2400 RPM converter and you should have some pretty good snap and still sneak 20 MPG on the highway.

I like that, it sounds like a plan is coming together, me and my wife both found out about a month apart that we are each gonna be getting some inheritance money coming our way, heh some relative from Germany I never even met left me some money(sweet) so I may be abe to do this up right, good machine shop balanced and such.

Life is funny sometimes, keep good karma, it goes a long way :)

-
Back