318 with 360-587 1.88 heads

-
The right way is to swap pistons. But we're talking about an obvious place-holder 318. Not need to spend anything more than gaskets and a cheap *** cam and go have fun droping the clutch.

Bingo. Buy a set of .025" head gaskets and make the best of what you've got til the money comes in.

Head gaskets here

Got it. I think that is the way to go for now. Like I said this is just a temp motor. I have had a bunch of 318's that were fun motors with just intake, carb and dual exhuast. If I was down by 1wild&crazyguy I would go that route but up here it is more expensive if I was down by the master west coast head guy 1wild&crazyguy I would have him clean them up too and do his magic on them. (that was a compliment not fecious)

I 2nd throw it back together and put her in and have some fun.

wow they charge a lot.
Didnt cost to ask, too bad they dont know chit from shine'ola about mopar castings. well ...itll be what it be.lol....at least u wont have to worry bout replacing starters, theyll last forever

I'll run some numbers and get back to you. Higher comp. height pistons aren't real cheap. I'll try and see what will be the most cost effective for a budget build, not knowing the exact chamber cc on the heads.

I am a novice, but Hughes engines makes a cam shaft that works with this low compression- alternating the dynamic and static compression together to give the horse power you want without changing the pistons. -could be less work, even cheaper..?

I would give them a phone call and compare the price of a cam/valvetrain vice swapping pistons out. ( I don't think that you will need to upgrade anything but springs/retainers-ask here on FABO)

Also, just plain cast pistons at the local part store are VERY CHEAP compared to Hypereuctic or forged. The guys here on FABO would be able to tell you if you if you really needed better pistons at your power goals-i bet not though.

-maybe another option

I get where your at and it sucks, I know, been there done that, still being there and doing that :D
If this is your temp engine till you can afford something else I'd just throw it together and have some fun with what it is till you can make it what you want.

I will check out the Hughes cam. I may still be able to keep my 402. Crossing my fingers. I appreciate everyones input. I think even if I build this 318 I think it can be a fun little engine. I have had a few and they are indestructible little screamers.

-
Back