318 with n.o.s. ???

-

joshua dewitt

Reaction score
building up my 318 with a 9:1 truck pistions with cast rings, (no moly to melt off).. 100 shot..only used at full thottle.... with 302 casting heads. with mp high compressin head s gaskets. my hopes are 9:5 or 9:75 to 1 compression. so is steetable on pump gas. mp 340 purple cam, hooker super comp headers, eldebrock torquer 340 intake, 650 carb. 3:55 gears with 28" tall tires, and a904 with close ration 1st gear set. wht do you think? also do you think the factory mopar electroic igntion orange box can hadle it or shoud i go with a msd set up? pro-comp. or what ever c/d igntion....:burnout:

building up my 318 with a 9:1 truck pistions with cast rings, (no moly to melt off).. 100 shot..only used at full thottle.... with 302 casting heads. with mp high compressin head s gaskets. my hopes are 9:5 or 9:75 to 1 compression. so is steetable on pump gas. mp 340 purple cam, hooker super comp headers, eldebrock torquer 340 intake, 650 carb. 3:55 gears with 28" tall tires, and a904 with close ration 1st gear set. wht do you think? also do you think the factory mopar electroic igntion orange box can hadle it or shoud i go with a msd set up? pro-comp. or what ever c/d igntion....:burnout:

I'd run an MSD 6AL so you have a rev. limiter, just make sure you'll pull timing accordingly & run better gas while on the bottle. What converter are you going to use?

That should work well, just be sure to use the new tune ups available. The new updated NOS tune ups use a Nitrous and Fuel jet that are the same size or the nitrous jet is bigger, depending on your horse power goals. and pulling timing is the key to not melting it down. I ran a 200 shot on pump gas on stock 340 bottom end, timing at 26 degrees total. I cant remember what jets I used, I also had a separate fuel line and regulator for the nitrous using one big fuel pump for the motor and nitrous and Y ed it off on inner fender.

Attachments

• dart 1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 221
If "I" was gonna build up a nitrous street engine, I would limit compression to 8.5:1 for an absolute maximum.

Keep the MP Orange box in the car but disconnected as a back up ignition should the MSD fail. No sense in making extra work on removing it. (That's what I do) Use the MSD (Or equal) box to pull timing out for a safe running engine.

Also, do not exceed 9.5-1 ratio for pump gas with that combo. 9.0-1 would be great.
If you can find 340/360 heads, mill them down and bowl port them. 2.02 valve a plus.
That'll give ya a kick in the pants!

Are those truck pistons cast or forged? I have a 318 setup almost exactly like yours. I was told 9.0 compression, not confirmed. I was thinking it would be about nice for a small nitrous setup, but it currently has cast pistons.

Cast slugs shod yield at 100/125 Jp shot. Though a few have gone to 150 as they know what there doing!

-
Back