318LA build

-

DanBeck182

Reaction score
Hello all and happy memorial day,

I have a 318 LA engine that I'm rebuilding, it ran fine but leaked everywhere. I'm using flat top pistons and the stock heads so my question is how big of a cam can I put in this with the stock heads? I'm aware I'll have to change the valve springs which I was going to do anyway. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Dan #182

Not that it pertains much to your lift question (that's going to require some measurement) but what year of 318 and what are the head casting numbers? Is it original or has it been rebuilt? Some 318s have rotators with two groove locks on the intake and exhausts, but a lot do not and have three groove locks on the exhaust that require changing exhaust valves to make proper installed height with regular retainers.

The biggest cam that will fit is likely not the cam that will do what you want. What are you building here? If it’s a blown fuel 318 then maybe you’re on the right track. If it’s a 8:1 318 on pump gas to cruise around, the “biggest” cam is a bad choice. So back to the question, what are you building here?

If rebuilding you can make measurements to find out and make any necessary mods to fit whatever cam you want.

What you should be finding out what cams are gonna suit your build and if they require you to do mods to run them piston to valve and or retainer clearance etc.. Then you could decide different cam specs and or make the mods.

But unless your building some crazy cammed 318 build with stock heads shouldn't need to do much for the average 318 type cam.

The camshaft is only one part of the combination. I’m going to ask you a small slew of questions that we all need to know the answers to for any type of cam recommendation.

Otherwise, you’ll get answers like, “Use a .750 roller cam with 1.6 rockers.”

What is your;

Cars weight
Trans
Is a upgraded converter to be used
Gear ratio
Rear end size
Tires size to be used
What are you expecting/wanting from this
The cars primary purpose
The percentages of street driven and strip driven
(Example; 90% street - 10% strip.)

Engine compression ratio
Pistons used
Hp sought after
Mileage sought after
Idle quality sought
Cheap, moderately cheap or expensive camshafts
(Hyd./solid/roller)

Any other modifications?

Carb
Intake
Ignition
Headers
Upgraded valve size
Ported heads

If you can’t answer even some of these, your question is a loaded gun and it OS going off. Then the best recommendation I can give is the joking one above.

The biggest cam you can put in a 318 is one with 300 duration @ .050 & .850 lift on a solid roller cam. It operates between 5500 & 9,000 rpm for r higher depending on other modifications.

I'm assuming a mild build, so if the flat tops are stock and the compression is low, the Summit 6900 is my first choice for value.
DODGE Summit Racing SUM-6900 Summit Racing™ Classic Camshafts | Summit Racing

If by chance the pistons have a decent comp height, with a little more comp, this Melling 23203 would be a good choice imo.
DODGE Melling 23203 Melling M-Select Class 2 Camshafts | Summit Racing

A 4bbl and duel exhaust is a no brainer, but any converter and rear gear would be ''usable'' with either on a 112LSA.

A cheap set of Comp 901 springs and a close to stock pushrod should put you in business.

If you're going with the stock compression ratio, the Howard's cam .479 / .494 x 255* / 261* 208*/214* @ 0.050" 112* LSA. Windage tray and a true roller timing chain.

What Oil should he use? :lol:
Hey there hot rod, did you happen to notice that I wasn't the only one who has made a cam recommendation and amount other things? Are you jealous because I thought of a cam before you did? As far as oil I don't see anything wrong with using valvoline 10w 30. For stock compression ratio I think that the whiplash cam is to much but that's just my opinion.

You might brush up on cam timing specs, the Whiplash is designed for low compression engines.
I know it is, but with its duration at 0.050 wouldn't it move the power band up? Also aren't the sbm know for coil bind at over .500 lift? And to the op may not want a rough idle.

Hey there hot rod, did you happen to notice that I wasn't the only one who has made a cam recommendation and amount other things? Are you jealous because I thought of a cam before you did? As far as oil I don't see anything wrong with using valvoline 10w 30. For stock compression ratio I think that the whiplash cam is to much but that's just my opinion.
Yes, I'm Jealous of Everything that You say Dan...
I'm gonna go pull the Plugs out of MY MOPAR now for absolutely no reason.

Yes, I'm Jealous of Everything that You say Dan...
I'm gonna go pull the Plugs out of MY MOPAR now for absolutely no reason.
It's just that I can't remember you ever making any suggestions, just that smiling face and sometimes rude comments. Pull the plugs out of your mopar if you want to. I'm use to us Missouri folks sticking together

Lol. I know when to keep my mouth shut. I don't really suggest anything here because Most of these Fellas Actually Know what they're Talking about...
Unlike us Misery Boys. :D

Lol. I know when to keep my mouth shut. I don't really suggest anything here because Most of these Fellas Actually Know what they're Talking about...
Unlike us Misery Boys. :D
That's what I really need to do. I know that I don't know you, but I hope that we can be friends and maybe one day we can meet. I have faults and darnit I'm trying to correct them

I liked Dan’s cam suggestion. Not to darn shabby Dan. A wide LSA for a smooth idle on a more aggressive lobe while not being far off from a friendly driver with mileage.

Its duration is a step above standards command lots of lift for how well OEM ports flow. It stays under .500 for an easy going valve spring.

Dan! FABO might just make a motor head out of you yet!

But a lot has to be answered for the OP by the OP.

I liked Dan’s cam suggestion. Not to darn shabby Dan. A wide LSA for a smooth idle on a more aggressive lobe while not being far off from a friendly driver with mileage.

Its duration is a step above standards command lots of lift for how well OEM ports flow. It stays under .500 for an easy going valve spring.

Dan! FABO might just make a motor head out of you yet!

But a lot has to be answered for the OP by the OP.
Thanks rumblefish360. I agree FABO just might make a motor head out of me yet and I think that would be awesome

a stockish low compression build i like the hughs 318 whipcash cams, google whiplash duster on youtube, it works!!

.750 roller and 1.6 rockers

I had to do it. @RustyRatRodRRR going to do it so I beat him to it.
That ain't cool man. That was my line. lol

In all seriousness, I would run something similar to the Edelbrock Performer. Summit has a version in their name brand that's very affordable.

i think the eddy performer 2177 would be a great mild cam for a 318 with stock (low-ish) compression. a little less aggressive than a stock 340 cam. the thing i don't like is that it's a single pattern cam. however, for the money i think a melling 360 stock cam or a summit white box is a better buy.

their performer plus is a little aggressive for a 318 unless you've got heads to support it and some compression, stall and a little bit of gear. .488/.518 234/244 @50

without knowing all the details i'd say off the cuff: below .450 lift, under 215~220 duration and keep the lsa at or under 112 and split pattern.

-
Back