340 4 speed crank

-

plugger340

Reaction score
I'm in the process of converting my Barracuda to 4 speed. The 340 that I will be rebuilding was hooked up to a 727 so I'll have to drill the crank to accept the 833. I do have another 340 that I'm not using that has a 4 speed crank so am I better off to swap cranks and use the 4 speed crank when I rebuild my 340? :scratch:

If the 4 speed motor is still assembled I would check into the cost of having the automatic crank drilled. If it's not too expensive I'd just have it drilled so I could keep the other motor together. If the 4 speed motor is already apart I'd be more inclined to swap cranks. This is assuming both cranks are forged. If either crank is cast I would use the one that was forged.

There's a good chance you're crank has allready been drilled by the factory, but just not finish drilled. in which case you can get an undersize pilot bearing bushing.
If it's not drilled at all, you can also cut off an inch or so from the tip of the input shaft, and put a later style bearing in the crank, where the hub of the converter goes in.

Antoon

-
Back