340 4bbl intake on a 318

-

scamp80602

Life Long MOPAR Man
Reaction score
The interchange guide says no, but in the real world, will a 340 4bbl intake with the following casting #2531915 from a 68, 69 340 fit on a 318??

It will physically fit but performance-wise, I don't know if it is the best choice due to the larger ports on the intake. In the day, we used to run 340/360 heads and intakes on 318s because there just wasn't anything else available. Nowadays, you have better choices (OEM & aftermarket).

It will bolt up but the intake ports are bigger then the head ports wich cuases flow issues.

Yeah what he said:-D The engine would run, but it wouldn't be optimum. You would have a serious "speed bump" in the airflow which would cause the atomized fuel mixture to "pool" then dump into the cylinder.

everybody has there opion, i've run a 69 340 intake on a 318 for years gives em good lowend power,the ports are bigger, but it still works good,the performer intake has the 318 ports, but the 340 intake works just as good if not better, if it's not a all out racecar use the 340 intake i got 20 mpg on the road with mine with hedders, crane 268 cam, and 294 gears,

have ya tried the 340 intake ? are you just going by what you heard? theres no fuel problems performance is good, just like people who say don't put 360 heads on a 318, thats the best thing that ever happen to my 318,

The problem is because the intake ports are bigger then the head ports it makes a nice lip for the air/fuel to run in to creating turbulence.

You can run it and Im sure it will make ok power but an intake with the correct port size will work better.

I'll have to agree with mr.318 on this one. I ran a 340 stock type 4-bbl intake on a heated up 318 for about 10 years, with a Carter AFB 625 carb, and it ran like a scalded rabbit. It had good low end torque, good smooth mid-range, and lots of top end power.

I've got a 360 4-bbl. manifold from an '83 Dodge pickup ready to go with a ThermoQuad for my 318. I just have to get all the little odds and ends to complete the swap.

-
Back