340 Block Numbers

-

70SwingerGuy

Reaction score
Hops this is the correct thread to post this, if not, mods please move it.
Question about different plant locations on my block. On the "date machined" pad on the drivers side below the head I show a "W" code meaning Windsor Ontario plant, but on the passenger side oil pan vin pad, I have a plant code "B", which unless Im wrong is Hamtramck Michigan. So.... could the block have been assembled in Michigan, but have had final machining in Windsor??
In case it matters, the engine is a 1969 block

If you post a clear picture of the vin numbers stamped on the passenger side of the oil pan rail just below the casting date I'm sure someone will decode it for you. Also, the numbers stamped on the top driver's side of the block just below where the head bolts on will tell you exactly when and where it was assembled at.

If you post a clear picture of the vin numbers stamped on the passenger side of the oil pan rail just below the casting date I'm sure someone will decode it for you. Also, the numbers stamped on the top driver's side of the block just below where the head bolts on will tell you exactly when and where it was assembled at.
I actually have all my numbers decoded, I was just kinda stumped on that one detail since it involved two different plants

The Vin number just above the oil pan on the pass side might be a complete 13 digit or a partial Vin number. This number could help figure out exactly what vehicle your engine came out of. 1969 340's were only in darts and cudas but depending on the casting date could have found there way into early 1970 models including dusters, challengers as well as darts and a body cudas.
The other sequence of numbers found on the front of the block below the drivers side cylinder head will tell the year, displacement, plant assembly and date of build along with other things such as bering size I.e. under sized or over sized. I'm sure there's more but that's what I can recall for now.
Good luck

So the first number 9 is the year 1969 model
B represents Hamtramck assembly plant
The last six digits are the numerical sequence on the assembly line. Whether it was a dart or Cuda I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell. Maybe someone else can help you there.

Yup, I had that figured out, but when the pan rail code says Hamtramck, and the drivers head rail says Windsor, thats what got me confused. Thanks again.

-
Back