340 Build Up

-

fastdart69

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to the forums and have a '69 Dodge Dart Swinger 340 with the original motor and 4-speed transmission that I am restoring. I plan to keep these stock and have already rebuilt this engine to stock specifications. I also have another '69 340 engine and 4-speed transmission. My plan is to build the second engine as a high performance engine. I would like to end up with combination that develops between 500 and 600 horsepower. I recently bought a Edelbrock tunnel ram manifold that I may use in the build. My goal is to end up with a car that will handily beat my friends 2010 Camaro SS. I'm looking for your thoughts and suggestions regarding this build-up. fastdart69

500hp can be done with a stockstroke 340 with the small stock intake portwindow but a stroker would be better for it. 600hp with heads that works with a stock intake would have to be a entirely perfect build for that goal
for 600real hp N/A i would build a indy or W-series headed stroker engine but that stockblock will be at the edge

SS Camaros typically run mid 13's here at Fontana Speedway, so you don't have to have 500 to 600 ponies. Is your TR a street tunnelram?

The intake is a street tunnel ram. I'm not opposed to going with a stroker crank, different heads, or a different intake manifold. I understand that some of the aluminum heads won't work with certain intake manifolds and exhaust headers. I don't want to cut the fenderwells so fenderwell headers are not an option. I will be using an MSD ingnition for both the stock and competition motor. Other modifications will include disc brakes so it won't be completely original. I'll sacrifice some originality for safety. I know tires will be a problem because I don't plan to tub the car. I will be using the SS leaf springs, a pinion snubber and a 4.91 gear. Any recommendations for compression ratio, camshaft, rocker set-up, carburation,etc. I appreciate your thoughts so far.

No aluminum heas, find a set of W2 iron heads, fullu port them and run just shy of 11-1 compresion. You'll need about that ratio to run the big cam to make the power. tti has W2 headers that run under chassis with 1-7/8 tube size for good flow. I'd look into a roller cam and durations starting @ 260* @ 050 wi.600 + lifts.

-
Back