340 cam 1000-5800 rpm... torque converter

-

joshua dewitt

Reaction score
318, high compression with purple 340 resto cam in it. 3.50 gears 28" tire, what seams to be a good street / performance playtime converter to be used in the combo, all the other engine goodies there too. I spoke with paul at turbo action, awaiting e-mail or call back on pricing... suggested 19802st for my application. is his the better choice or would say like hughes 27-25 be a better option, looking to spend 300-500 for the right one.... want to be able to drive it. everyone is saying 2500 rpm is the te righ tone, seam a little high? but I may be wrong, not used to 3 spd autos, used to electric overdrive lock up models... looking to do it once and for get it. any thoughts?

2500 stall seems a bit conservative. Turbo action converter in the tight 10" would probably be the nicer choice.

I would try to get a exact copy made of the high stall 340 converter, but in a modern converter that's tight until you stab it. That way, it will be more locked up at cruise and will help increase fuel mileage, but still perform well.

Save the Turbo Action converter the next time you go fishin. They make great boat anchors.

I don't see any need to get more stall than what a stock 340 had from the factory. My new 1971 340 Duster, as I recalled, stalled in the 2200-2500 range. Contact some of the other converter suppliers that have been mentioned and go to their website. They should have a spec sheet for you to fill out, so they can build you what is needed. A 10" converter will be too much converter for you. The factory 340 converter was a 11" unit.

People get caught up and forget that Chrysler converters stalled high to begin with. Stock converters generally stalled around 1200-1500 RPM. Factory High stall converters generally around 1000 RPM higher.

Exactly RRR! Since you need a converter, I'd do the 2500 & call it a day. IMO, I'd loose some tire. 28's are a lot and the combo of converter and gear ratio is a bit meek for a large tire height. Loose a 1-1/2. Try a 245/60/15.

well I was told hughes converters are on the tight side, and more in my budget@ 350-375.00 the turbo action appears to be over 500.00 for converter alone, then I need different flex plate and bolts I was told by paul. willing if I can afford I, but not sure if car is going to stick around, but who makes a 340 factory stall, that is tight wound?

Call PTC. My custom built setup, designed exactly for my combo, was $475. 3000 stall, 9 1/2 inch. Wound tighter for street like others have mentioned. $100 bucks cheaper than a B&M 3000 hole shot off the shelf. For the money you're gunna spend. Go custom. Always worth it.

Don't skimp on the converter. It is the most important part of an automatic build. Converter technology has come MILES beyond what it was even just 15 years ago. If you don't spend approaching or over 600 for one, it better be suspect......however, Precision of New Hampton will build you a NICE one probably for less, simply because they build TONS of converters since they also are a supplier of stock replacement converters for everyday cars. That's who supplied converters to the transmission shop I worked for and we never had issue with them. The owners used custom converters from them in a few of their race cars and they worked well. Buy an off the shelf converter if you want, but you're taking a big chance in leaving a lot of power on the table that could go to the rear wheels.

spoke with lenny from ultimate through e-mail, he thinks ishould be looking at 2800-3000 stall...9.5" unit but that is 900.00 way too much....

spoke with lenny from ultimate through e-mail, he thinks ishould be looking at 2800-3000 stall...9.5" unit but that is 900.00 way too much....

Did you try PTC? I found lenny was high as well. I'm sure they are quality units. But I'm not looking to spend race money on my daily driver.

ptc was very vague on information... but willing to to talk to them.awaiting an e-mail response

Contact FTI they carry nice 9.5 converters that get the job done! They run in the 600 dollar range though.

Call Turbo Action converter and ask for Paul.Buy a tight 10inch converter not a 11 inch.Just went through this and got one from him best investment in performance i have made.He is a nice person to deal with.

Call Turbo Action converter and ask for Paul.Buy a tight 10inch converter not a 11 inch.Just went through this and got one from him best investment in performance i have made.He is a nice person to deal with.
called pual. gave him the information, have left 2 messages for him to call, or email me back and still no answer, an older woman has taken the messages twice now. not sure what is going on?

-
Back